Just got a '98 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, so far, it's been a good truck, except for the AC compressor blowing a seal (covered in another thread).

I've done a lot of small stuff like replacing stabilizer links, replacing the battery and alternator, and bolting the left front hub to the vehicle the _right_ way.

What am I in store for, though? I hear a lot of bad stuff about the transmissions. Mine whines a little bit, but doesn't slip, leak or do anything else weird at all. The fluid looks perfect except for maybe a slight overfill.
I hear that the remote oil filter hoses are a common leak point (mine leaks at the hose to engine block flange and around the hose crimps). I'm told the compressor seal is a common issue, and I saw the thread about the windshield leaking (my '98 F-150 has never leaked there in 14 years, so maybe I'm lucky).

Also, as for recalls, does the '98 expedition have the same recalls on lug nuts, the fuel tank, and the cruise control that the 1998 F-150's had? I wonder if it'll suffer from the same kind of defective front cover gasket that's in the 4.2L Essex V6 my F-150 has?

I have the 4.6 liter Romeo engine and I believe I have the 4R100 transmission. I never liked the 4.6 (felt it was underpowered), but it takes me where I want to go.

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will be getting a 1998 expy in a couple days myself.I think they do will.I drove one with a 4.6 and 5.4.I dont know if there was much difference in power.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get the cruise control checked out. and the windshield leaks started around 99. mine hasnt leaked and its the original window as well.

OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll plan on doing the cruise, then. I did it in my F-150. It cost maybe $10 for a crimp in fuse holder.
Dunno if I have the original glass or not, The F-150 has had three of them, so I would not be surprised if the Expedition has had its windshield replaced at some point. It lacks the assembly plant sticker.

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is a '98 and I did have the windshield leak. As far as recalls there was one for the trailer hitch, one for the lugs, and one for the cruise switch. Those are the 3 I remember.

tsgrpr97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first thing we did when we brought our expy home was call a dealer and give them our vin to look up if the recall services were performed. Not a fan of spontaneous combustion.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition