K&N Cold air intake popping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonC

Reaction score
I recently installed new MSD blaster coil packs and a K&N cold air intake on my 03 Expedition 4.6 and It started making this erratic popping sound when it is first cranked up or when its revving down from the throttle. I have true duals run out the back and no codes thrown. I ordered a Jet performance MAF sensor today to see if that corrects it, but if its not the problem, I just wanted to come on here and get some ideas of what else could be causing it. It has excellent performance and no other problems.

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this issue too when I installed my spectre intake. I found that I had to keep the baffle box installed near the throttle body. Try putting it back on and im almost sure it'll quiet it down and stop it from making that popping sound

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

Reaction score
I haven't even thought of that. I'll possibly try to hook that back up when I receive and install that maf sensor. I'll try it both ways. :)

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't even thought of that. I'll possibly try to hook that back up when I receive and install that maf sensor. I'll try it both ways. :)

Let us know if it fixes it. I was so pissed off when I installed mine..and I heard that noise. Im wondering if there is another option to fix it.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

Reaction score
I'll keep ya'll updated for sure. Im still waiting on the part to arrive. Im going to do whatever I can until the popping sound is cured. I've just been brainstorming other options just incase this doesn't resolve the issue.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

Reaction score
Installed the Jet Mass Air and reinstalled the the baffle box on upper intake hose also. The popping sound is completely gone and it is running better than ever. Mass air flow sensor was money well spent. I think i'll upgrade the Throttle body, and put underdrive pulleys on next. I uploaded a bunch of pictures in my albums of the upgrades if anyone wants to check them out.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

Reaction score
Hey Boobie, that's exactly what mine sounded like, I could hear it doing it really good near the end of the video. You need that Mass air sensor also. Mine was bogging down a little too on takeoff, but not anymore. The maf sensor cost me 270 dollars and was well worth it.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

Reaction score
Hey bro, good luck with yours and thank you for the baffle box suggestion. Heres a pic of how I did mine.

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries..and thanks. Wife is gonna kill me now...cause im gonna order that mass air sensor haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zanwahwarden