Key and keyless entry in one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just picked up a used 2005 Expy, and it only came with 1 key and key fob (thanks alot previous owner)

Since I need to get a new key and fob, I was wondering if I can use a 2012 style key where the remote and the key are all 1 unit.
Anyone tried this before?

mkc1962

Reaction score
I just went through similar myself. The fobs, you can get 2 of them for under $10 shipped from amazon, very easy to program. As for the key, yep they are pricey, Got mine at wmart for $59.

I also noticed the key you are referring to that has the remote built into it. The shape looked the same, and Ford dealer said they should work. However, none of the key making places had one. Amazon had them for about the same price as 2 fobs but the cutters (none of them) would guarantee that their machines would properly program them, the risk would be on me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regular key blanks arent too bad if you get them online, and the stock fobs are cheap. I'm just trying to not have 100 different things hanging off my keys if I can help it.
I might just bite the bullet and try it and be the guinea pig.

Team Zombie

Reaction score
there's a key fob on ebay that has the key blank built into it... just push a button and the key comes out switchblade style.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure they have the transponder in them too...that will need to be programmed by dealership since u only have 1 key...once u have 2 keys u can program 3rd...4th...5th key as needed on your own

OP
OP
A

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there's a key fob on ebay that has the key blank built into it... just push a button and the key comes out switchblade style.

That would be great as well. Might look into that

I know I need a dealer trip. Wish I got a 2nd set of keys so i could do it myself, but thats life.

mkc1962

Reaction score
In my case the dealer wanted $125 to do that 2nd key. Local Locksmith wanted $70 but was out of ford blanks. Local Wmart did it for $59. still pricey but cheaper than the rest. Now atleast I have 2 and can do as freeway suggests if I want to do more.

billycuth

Reaction score
Hey, how did you make out with this? I just bought an 06 and it only had 1 transponder key and what appears to be a valet key. I didn't even get a freakin' fob. WTH is wrong with people?

OP
OP
A

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still havent had any time to get a new key yet. Who new a newborn would take up that much of your time? haha

billycuth

Reaction score
I still havent had any time to get a new key yet. Who new a newborn would take up that much of your time? haha
Congrats on being a new father. I have two now. One almost 6 and the other is 3. They bring lots of joy, a little pain, but all love.

Let me know how you make out... I am definitely going to be in the market for a key and would love to have an all-in-one/switchblade.