Keyless entry trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordjunkie68

Reaction score
So, when I bought my 01, the previous owner told me that the key fobs had quit working and his wife threw them away. Out of curiosity I bought a new fob from the Ford dealer; they did use m the VIN number to get the part. I can cycle the ignition switch 8 times and the locks cycle to indicate programming mode, but nothing happens when I press a button on the new fob. What do I need to start looking for as far as troubleshooting?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, you might be able to use the Forscan app on your laptop. Buy a cable connector, there's a recent post here on the Amazon link? Look for it.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a brand remote from the Ford dealer. Parts department used the VIN number to find it, so...
Doors closed

on off 8 times (within ten seconds) stopping on on position. (door lock will activate to let you know you are in programming mode) If door lock does not activate you are not in programming mode.

hit any button on the remote fob you wish to program.( it should do the function that you hit on the fob)

Turn key back to off (door lock should activate again to let you know you are leaving the programming mode)

OP
OP
Fordjunkie68

Fordjunkie68

Reaction score
Doors closed

on off 8 times (within ten seconds) stopping on on position. (door lock will activate to let you know you are in programming mode) If door lock does not activate you are not in programming mode.

hit any button on the remote fob you wish to program.( it should do the function that you hit on the fob)

Turn key back to off (door lock should activate again to let you know you are leaving the programming mode)

That's the problem. When I hit a button on the fob, nothing happens. It's like there isn't a receiver for the RF signal from the remote. All of the other stuff working off the fuses labeled "keyless entry" work, so fuses aren't the issue. Locks work from the keypad and interior switches, so those fuses and relays are good. I just don't know where to proceed from this point.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you need 2 key fobs, 1 original and 1 replacement. The original is the one you press first followed by the replacement or spare.

Maybe you could try this to test your key fob:

Last edited:

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
Yea fobs aren't transmitting (battery, damage) or receiver isn't listening, i think it's in the rap module.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's the problem. When I hit a button on the fob, nothing happens. It's like there isn't a receiver for the RF signal from the remote. All of the other stuff working off the fuses labeled "keyless entry" work, so fuses aren't the issue. Locks work from the keypad and interior switches, so those fuses and relays are good. I just don't know where to proceed from this point.
If the door locks activate to let you know you are in programing mode, most likely not the truck.
The local Auto Zone has a tester in the store right by the batteries you would need for your fob. stop by and check and get a battery(about 5 bucks)if needed.

I do have another fob (from previous vehicle) around the house somewhere that I don't use, if you cant get anything working I could try and find it if need be.