Knocking on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
IMO it's the oil filter. My 07 5.4L w/ 215k on the clock was doing the cold knock here and there. Even after oil changes. I always used Motorcraft oil and filter from Wallyworld because it was the cheapest. I switched filter brands and what a surprise, not a sound. My guess is the backflow preventer in the filter is weak allowing the oil to drain out of the filter and top end. If you have a vertical mount filter like on a SBC or BBC, the backflow preventers don't matter as much. When the filter is horizontal like on the 5.4L they do matter.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surely the timing chain tensioners leaking. The whole front of the engine has to come out to get to them and they are controlled by your oil pressure. They leak and then won't push on the chains to take up the slack but will when they pump up enough. I would have included a cheap oil filter that won't control back flow but that's not a cold weather only problem.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
It's not a cold weather issue, it's a cold start issue. After it has been sitting and given enough time to let the oil drain back into the pan.
As far as the timing tensioners, they don't have to leak to not pump up. When I tore the motor down in my son's Mustang when we bought it, this is what the tensioner looked like. Previous owner didn't believe in oil changes apparently...

33258280970_6e73196fb9_c.jpg

33572631316_c04d42a4f6_c.jpg

33914620233_b968bfba09_c.jpg