Lack of acceleration after 1st gear. Clogged cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hk_bird

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got a 2011 expy with 170K miles on it and I'm starting to experience a major lack of acceleration after shifting into 2nd gear and above. I just replaced the spark plugs and coil packs so I don't think those are the problem. My suspected issue is a clogged cat (I owned an impala before this and had similar acceleration/response issues with a clogged cat) but I wanted to reach out and ask if there is anything else I should be suspicious of before taking it a shop.

Problem in detail: no acceleration issues when going from a dead stop, but as soon as I am in 2nd gear or above there is a serious lack of acceleration. I noticed it when I was trying to merge onto a highway and it took me 15 seconds to go from 40mph to 60 mph, even with mashing the pedal. It will drop a gear and produce some acceleration but it is seriously lacking for >3000rpm.

Any input is appreciated!
HK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger