Leather Care

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All good advise above. I will add that the key is to treat as often as possible. Recommendation is once a month but most of us just can't get around to it that often. If you treat it 2 or 3 times a year you should be good. There will be some natural cracking in high wear areas even if you keep the leather soft. Can't seem to get away from that. Had fabric for years but once I had leather, I will never go back.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UV rays are 99% of the problem. Get a layer of film installed on all your windows, including the windshield. Transparent or tinted - doesn't matter. All of the interior, including the occupants, will last longer and look better.

I have matching black tint all the way around with the sole exception of the windshield which will be getting a ceramic Uv blocking clear on it. So that should help keep the leather happier at least.

4a8007d14613b95a025c8b213fe4430d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Mothers leather conditioner is very good. It is a thick paste. It comes with a sponge. I use my hands to work it in. Your body heat helps, work it into the leather. It is not greasy and keeps leather supple. I use a cheap seat cover on my driver seat. I do it only because, my work clothes get dirty.

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The black leather seats in my '15 Limited are some of the worse I ever had in any vehicle. The leather is pretty stiff and just doesn't feel right. The second and third row seats are fine, it's just the front two.

Either way...The leather is coated so conditioning won't do anything. You can apply a conditioner everyday if you want to and it won't change a thing. You can't condition plastic. The best thing to do is keep them clean. I hit mine every couple of months with a dedicated leather cleaner, but usually just maintain them with any kind of "all in one" leather care product. Lately I've been using mothers vlr, but I've also used poorboy's leather stuff and the chemical guys leather detailer. I like the spray products cause I can knock it out pretty quick.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the leather part of your seats, you might try saddle soap followed by mink oil. They both are in paste form, and come in large shoe polish cans for about $1.50/ea. They are usually located in the shoe department of local stores. Have used these products on my Corvettes for 25 years with no complaints.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sissix is right, you can't condition coated leather. It's basically painted. Keep it clean. Most conditioners just make the painted leather ultra shiny or sticky like Armorall.