Led headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Any suggestions for led head lights? This is for a 2017 Expedition. I bought from Amazon “Most plus” but the low beam (9005) didn’t fit dust cover was blocked by the bulb base, it also wouldn’t turn on for some reason. So I returned them. Still want leds but I want them to fit and work correctly.
So any suggestions?

Thanks

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any suggestions for led head lights? This is for a 2017 Expedition. I bought from Amazon “Most plus” but the low beam (9005) didn’t fit dust cover was blocked by the bulb base, it also wouldn’t turn on for some reason. So I returned them. Still want leds but I want them to fit and work correctly.
So any suggestions?

Thanks

You need to do A LOT of reading and searches. Drop In Amazon LED’s are CRAP. That is an honest, straight review. HID’s are still the way to go for aftermarket conversions. There are a few higher end LED options out there now that are supposedly showing some promise. Others will be along with more info.

Until I can see definite pictures of improved brightness with a good beam pattern, I am sticking to my upgraded Halogens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grover6

Reaction score
I have had an HID kit in my 2016 for the last year. I got it form XENON HID . com. Simple clean plug and play kit. Went with the 5000K bulb and 55w ballasts. It has been working well, until recently. The light is obviously brighter than the halogens. Even after I upgraded the stock halogens, the light was better but not great,and I was only getting about a year out of the sylvania bulbs I was running.

In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that my driver side HID is acting up. It sometimes takes two on/off cycles of the switch to get it to light, and it is also has a slight purple/pink hue to it, which means it is dying. I have priced out a replacement pair, and they are at least double the cost of a high end halogen pair.

I do like the light of the HID, but for $65-85 cost, compared to $30 for halogens, I am going back to the halogens. It seems I will get about the same life span out of each them and for half the cost and the simplicity of the stock halogens, I will do with slightly less light.

As for LED's...I know that LED lights do not throw light downrange as far as HID or halogens. The light diffuses sooner, although brighter and draws less power at the source, which translates into less visibility. Check youtube for info on LED lights. Lots of videos comparing them to the other options.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IS that what the purple means???

When mine are off while or cold they come on pinkish/purple for a second, then go blue, then get bright white. Takes about 5-6 seconds

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
IS that what the purple means???

When mine are off while or cold they come on pinkish/purple for a second, then go blue, then get bright white. Takes about 5-6 seconds
Hid bulbs change color when dying but its very normal for them to produce different colors while warming up. Once warmed up they should stay at the rated Kelvin

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I wanted to try the LED`s just to match the fog lights. HID`s would work too. I tried some LED`s from Amazon and found that the over sized fan and heat sink don`t allow the stock dust cover to be reinstalled. I have seen some covers that might work but I need to figure out which bulb I`m gonna go with. Like I said The main purpose was to match the fog lights. The stock halogen`s and the LED fog lights don`t look right together. Any help with HID`s would also be welcomed.

Thanks

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hid bulbs change color when dying but its very normal for them to produce different colors while warming up. Once warmed up they should stay at the rated Kelvin

Not anymore

Anything from $9 kensun crap to stock HID replacement german osram D3S xenarcs fire up instantly and damn close to their rated color, and fully "settle" within like 1 second

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Not anymore

Anything from $9 kensun crap to stock HID replacement german osram D3S xenarcs fire up instantly and damn close to their rated color, and fully "settle" within like 1 second
Lol.. A kensun typically wont ignite and if it does the warm up time won't touch anything from Osram.

Even ballasts from Osram take a few seconds but are significantly faster than anything aftermarket.

They all still take time to reach rated color and full intensity!

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The bro got me these drop in LEDs for Christmas and while no retrofit or factory HID or LED System them are certainly better than the halogens they replaced and match the factory fogs perfectly.
I do not have LED high beams.

H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit, DOT Approved, SEALIGHT S1 Series 12x CSP Chips Low Beam/Fog Light Bulb- 6000LM 6000K Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KB7QX3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PfzxCbRH9EW3S

The direct beam patern is slightly deeper than the halogen. But the halo pattern is nearly identical just white insetead of orangish. You can see some of my green tape markings for alignment.
22E6E13C-5372-41FA-9C2A-351615BAA081.jpeg

Pretty happy with a gift drop in option that do fit behind the factory dust covers so no modifications needed.
Perfect, nope.
Blinding to others, nope.
Better than factory halogen, yup!!