Led light bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not for lights but thats exactly where I planned a bank of switches for some electrical goodies that should go in this spring. A 3 or 4 gang should fit fine and it will be out of the way, yet accessible.

OP
OP
BrandonZ55

BrandonZ55

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah it's really the only spot to put stuff like that unless you feel like cutting up your dashboard. I used sheet metal and just welded together a small box that's raised out a little. I will post pictures on monday when I get back to work.

OP
OP
BrandonZ55

BrandonZ55

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not for lights but thats exactly where I planned a bank of switches for some electrical goodies that should go in this spring. A 3 or 4 gang should fit fine and it will be out of the way, yet accessible.

What goodies are you putting in?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What goodies are you putting in?

Mostly just power supply/media inputs. Going to run a blue sea systems 5029 fuse block that I plan to run 0ga back to the rear of the expy through a 0ga in/2 4ga out distribution block and have fused at 100A on the 5029. Remainder of capacity the 0 can provide will be for a second 4ga that will be for whatever amp/sub combination that ultimately ends up in there. Likely nothing crazy, maybe alpine type R at 500rms.

From there, run dedicated circuits to 12v outlets positioned for 3rd row occupants on each side to accommodate whatever charging needs. Each will be independently fused, 30A to have flexibility on what can run and easy access from either side of vehicle. I also plan to integrate wireless charging on the removable tray surfaces above the wheel wells and in the center cubby below where the ash tray would be. Flush mounted USB and HDMI ports for versatility back in 3rd row too. My pioneer head unit has HDMI in so it can he used as a monitor to play any content from back there. Handy for kids if they want to watch/listen to something from tablet or laptop.

I have to figure out precisely where but likely in the small cubby on driver side of cargo area, an 800w pure sine inverter. Need to find adequate space and ventilation to keep that cool yet hidden but accessible. Essentially I want to be able to power just about any normal thing should need arise whether it's for camping, charging whatever, entertainment or if we had no electricty have another form of power delivery in an emergency though would be a last resort, if generator failed or no fuel available.

Yes, an upgraded alternator would be in the list, which one depends on exactly how far I take this. It would likely never all be used simultaneously. Sub/rear seat power at the same time is likely the most demand at any one time.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have an 05, but if I did I would put them here:

unnamed.jpg

Here are the switches on my 11:

photo-5-91ce91e70d2b5ee1356f1a18b7dcfbb6649efaa4.jpg

OP
OP
BrandonZ55

BrandonZ55

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought of that area but I'm 6'3 and my knees would be bumping into them all the time. That's what made me choose the center console at the cigarette lighter. And that area is at a downward slope too.

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Aspen03 For the alternator, if your Expy is 05+, meaning a 3V engine, look at the 09-10 Mustang GT alternators, they are a direct swap for ours, and are 3 phase 150A instead of single phase 110-120A, it needs to be for an 09-10, not an 05-08 which are single phase and identical to what we already have. Its a easy way to get a more reliable, more powerful alt while staying with something ford and durable. I have a 07 Mustang GT and this is a popular swap for those cars also. The only difference in them exterior wise is the harness connector is rotated slightly but still fits perfectly.

As for accessories besides all the lights i mentioned which are LED so not a huge power draw, because we use the vehicle for road trips, i installed dual usb chargers in the third row, not power ports but the actual 3A dual usb with volt meter all in one units so the third row gets 4 usb charge ports, plus the actual power port which is right behind the third row.

I also put 3A USB insert chargers into the second row power ports so they can still pull them out to use the actual power port if needed.

In the front i have an actual Android 8 Head Unit, double din, with integrated 4G LTE connection so the truck also provides wifi to occupants like some new cars do, as well as that 4G also providing data to the head unit so i can stream whatever i want, or do google maps, or even make phone calls.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a '03, 2v. I'm aiming to have USB and power ports to accommodate virtually anything back there. I considered an android HU but ended up going w a pioneer that offered wireless android auto and carplay. Having used to work on the 12v industry I get some pretty good deals still and made sense being it is far easier to use for whomever and its flexible if someone wasnt used to android. I basically never touch it, everything is controlled via voice or steering wheel controls. On the odd chance it doesnt listen I'll have to tap here or there but that's about it.

Wifi is covered by our hotspots on phones. We have 40GB between us and that's usually far more than we ever use for the kids. Most of their movies and music are on 128GB sd cards in their tablets so it's used for much outside of the occasional YouTube or a game that requires persistent data.

OP
OP
BrandonZ55

BrandonZ55

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's my unfinished switch box. I'm gonna try and finish the fab work today and if I want to get picky do some mud work. But that alternator is a good idea. I'll probably to that to my 05. Cuz I have issues sometimes on a less then year old alternator with my lights dimming..(went aftermarket)

20200224_071201.jpg

20200224_071208.jpg

20200224_071225.jpg

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
I paired my 22" light bar with led high beam modules inside the headlight housings. I then just wired my bar relay into the high beams. The bar and the led high beams in the headlights come on with the simple use of the OEM multifunction switch. Makes for an excellent attention getter with a simple flick of flash to pass. I also performed the fog light relay ground mod, so when I turn on the high beams, low beams, fog lights, and leds are all illuminated for maximum light output.

0202191502a_HDR.jpg