Led Tails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getnbzi

Reaction score
i have a 2017 expy and ive been looking a Led tailights i dont want to do the bulbs and im finding that seems light they sop making any after like 2009 or so im wondering is there a reason they wont work they all loook the same anyone in same boat

Thnx

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
I have the Anzo 311110 for my 2013... works great since 2015. I actually have an extra set.... long story... got some as a gift when I already has purchased a set.

715K-rEJUHL._SL1500_.jpg

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many parts websites do this, don't know why. I'm fairly certain there is no difference between 07-17. Going further I don't think there is any difference between the 03-17.

Mine are all red, same LED array as above, I just preferred the OEM look. Not show above are 4 side-firing LEDS as a side parking lamp. ExpeditionAndy has the same ones on his 2017, lots of photos of his on this forum somewhere. Kind of disgusting I paid $500 and they are now easy to find for under $150.

You'll reuse (or upgrade) your stock reverse bulb and they come pre-wired with a magical black box that keeps the turn signals flashing at the correct speed and prevents a bulb-out warning message on your dash.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why don’t you just want to do bulbs? They look much better than those dot matrix LED aftermarket setups and bulbs are far cheaper.
Plus when the led circuit board has a fault, you can just replace the bulb. Have fun trying to warranty replace the lamp assembly.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why don’t you just want to do bulbs? They look much better than those dot matrix LED aftermarket setups and bulbs are far cheaper.
I agree, everybody wants to throw money at their vehicle to "improve" it. I saw the same thing in the Excursion forum I was in. I don't get it.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suggestion on bulbs? Do any relays need to be changed out when doing so?

No relays, but most (ie: not all) will require a resistor pack/inline resistor for two reasons: one, to eliminate hyperflashing turn signals, and two, to prevent bulb out warning messages in the dashboard message center. Any that mention CANBUS compatible probably won't require you adding a resistor.

Keep in mind an incandescent 3157 produces, in stop/brake mode, 402 lumens. This is the standard regardless of bulb manufacturer. Sure, there will be some variance, but keep 402 lumens in mind when LED shopping.

Diode Dynamics, arguably the best in the business, today lists 3 different 3157 varieties, all red, which is what you want contrary to popular belief. 280 lumens for $40/pair, 310 lumens for $60/pair, and 510 lumens for $90/pair. Years ago when I ordered, they had two, don't remember the lumens but ballpark the price was $90 and $125 range. One was red the other was clear. I tried both. They both were combination side and rear firing, and of all the bulbs I tried, the Diode Dynamic felt and looked (in my opinion) like the best built. Thankfully Diode has an easy exchange/replace/return policy. IMO you want both rear and side firing if you want to actually benefit from LED.

If one of my LED housings were to stop working or catch fire, I'd replace it with another LED housing. Or my old housings, complete with incandescent 3157s.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suggestion on bulbs? Do any relays need to be changed out when doing so?

I replaced all of my bulbs with LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDS.com (except headlights). They are much more reasonably priced than DD; and I am a firm believer all these things are coming from the same factory in China and just going into different boxes. I didn't need any relays, but I did have to go into ForScan to stop the hyperflash, I can't remember if I had to do it for front and back or just the front though.

After about 8 months, I did have one taillight go out (after a dealer body shop service on that side so not 100% sure if it was bad product vs bad service) and they replaced it within a week no questions asked. Otherwise, all the bulbs I received from them have been great.

Last edited: