Left front noise, iwe or cv?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm curious what noises people have heard from failing CV joints. I've read the hub/iwe descriptions and I'm not getting any change in the sounds with 4wd/2wd engagement.

The other thing I don't get any change with is turning/accel/decel. I'd describe it as a very faint ticking that is purely/solely speed dependent. It's at the volume a person who's used to diagnosing vehicles is going to pick up, but not a normal person.

Previous CV joint issues have been pretty obvious, not so sure about this one.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As discussed in another post, does your vehicle pull to one side when accelerating in 4WD? That most likely would indicate a sticking or defective IWE.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A ticking noise from the front that's independent from 2/4wd and is dependant on vehicle speed sounds like CV to me.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I have read, the bearings are pretty common on these too. Front bearings don't typically present with a tick though but I get ticking bearings on equipment at work all the time.