Left front vibration at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2012 4WD with 167k. I’m getting a moderate vibration from the left front at ~75+ mph that lessens when under load and becomes more pronounced when decelerating and braking. Wheels are balanced and truck was aligned before our trip. Minimal feedback through the steering wheel, only minimal wheel shake.

Leaning toward either the lower ball joint, hub, axle shaft, or tie rods but open to other ideas. Lower ball joint doesn’t feel loose when shaking the wheel.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
First swap the wheel to the back to make sure it's not a tire problem. If it persists, check your wheel bearing and axle shaft.

If the problem started after your alignment, take it to a real front end shop to check the alignment.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First swap the wheel to the back to make sure it's not a tire problem. If it persists, check your wheel bearing and axle shaft.

If the problem started after your alignment, take it to a real front end shop to check the alignment.
Thanks, will do the wheel thing. It’s been a problem for a while, but since I haven’t been driving it until our just completed 2k mile road trip to FL, I’d forgotten about it. Might be time for the hub and shaft to be replaced since I had to fix the vacuum hub grinding issue last year.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: had the tires rebalanced at Firestone and had them do a front end inspection while on the lift. Tech said both sides had up/down movement related to the wheel bearings and it also needs front brakes. Wanted to charge me almost $1800 to repair with non-OEM parts. I thanked them, paid the money for the services rendered, and am now ordering the second front hub and front pads & rotors. Fun times but still cheaper than a car payment!

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I've done all the front end work (hubs, IWEs, and brakes) and and had it aligned. It handles much more solidly now, but I still get the vibration from the LF at ~75+. Thinking its either the CV shaft or lower ball joint, but neither seemed loose when I had it torn apart. Leaning toward CV shaft since it still feels like there's some load on the shaft like the IWE is still engaged. Any additional thoughts will be appreciated.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Swap the tires front to rear. If the guy who told you that all the work was needed is the same one who balanced the tire, you shouldn't trust his work. It's a franchise shop. You could have a bad tire or bent rim.

It's worth the time before you spend any more money on this.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Swap the tires front to rear. If the guy who told you that all the work was needed is the same one who balanced the tire, and it's a franchise shop, you shouldn't trust his work. You could have a bad tire or bent rim.
Thanks. I rotated the tired myself since they didn't do it and the vibration hasn't moved.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that didn't help. I assume the tie rod ends were checked?

And have you checked your drive shaft universal joints? They're a cause of vibration, maybe not left front but sometimes it's difficult to pinpoint to source.

You can try removing the front driveshaft and seeing if the vibration continues...