Let's talk about brakes baby...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I have a 2014 Expedition EL Limited, 2nd owner, purchased with 17K miles last year, it now has just under 23K, we have owned it now going on 8 months. I had to get a wheel replaced and the shop told me I needed rear brakes, that the pads were low. Is this normal? They look a little low to me, but not to the point I think they need replaced. How long have you gotten on stock pads and rotors?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
23k miles on rear pads seems a bit early. What did the shop mean by "...needed rear brakes" Was that intended to be just pads, or did they suggest new rotors, pads, and calipers?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A shop won't let you go down to 2/32 on a set of pads, that's too close. Most will recommend pads at 3-4/32 of wear. Something you have to keep in mind is no 2 people are the same on their driving characteristics. One will drive with a foot on the brake pedal even while accelerating, seen it from behind. Another is so easy on their brake application, that you almost never see their brake lights. It's for this reason that things like pads, and in early days shoes are not warrantied. Sure they'll sell you on a warranty for free pads, but you pay labor. Other things like sticky caliper pistons or slides also wear pads quicker.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Dannyboy11222

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do u remove the caliper, are the bolts clockwise or counter clockwise for removal?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do u remove the caliper, are the bolts clockwise or counter clockwise for removal?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Lefty Lucy.....rightee tightee.....is a very good quote so a person doesn’t forget how to tighten or loosen a nut, bolt, or screw. Works 99.9% of the time.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
23k miles on rear pads seems a bit early. What did the shop mean by "...needed rear brakes" Was that intended to be just pads, or did they suggest new rotors, pads, and calipers?

We recently moved and this was the first time I went to someone who hasn't been my mechanic for years. I'm dangerous enough to do this myself, however for the price my mechanic back home charged me, it didn't pay me, and I trusted him 100%... When I asked if it was normal for a car with 23K miles on it to need brakes, her eyes got wide and said no, that factory brakes last 80-90K (not sure about getting quite that much). They quoted me $500 and told me they give the pads for free, that they just charge for the rotors. I was like... Do I need rotors? I don't know... They seemed legit, but I also seemed like I was being had, perhaps because of my history with my other mechanic. I told them I would schedule a brake diag and left.

A shop won't let you go down to 2/32 on a set of pads, that's too close. Most will recommend pads at 3-4/32 of wear. Something you have to keep in mind is no 2 people are the same on their driving characteristics. One will drive with a foot on the brake pedal even while accelerating, seen it from behind. Another is so easy on their brake application, that you almost never see their brake lights. It's for this reason that things like pads, and in early days shoes are not warrantied. Sure they'll sell you on a warranty for free pads, but you pay labor. Other things like sticky caliper pistons or slides also wear pads quicker.

After driving with my wife earlier today in the truck, I think I might understand why the pads might be getting low... :) There is probably a 1/4" of pad left, maybe a bit less and the rotors seem fine to me. The truck seems to drive fine, not sluggish or pulling and all the pads seem to worn equally. No idea how the owner before us drove it, but I would be surprised if I have a sticking caliper(s)... :\

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lemme guess:

1) your MPGs are in the single digits
2) you don't coast towards red lights and stop signs

???

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lemme guess:

1) your MPGs are in the single digits
2) you don't coast towards red lights and stop signs

???

1) your MPGs are in the single digits - nope, probably close to 17-20 MPG
2) you don't coast towards red lights and stop signs - sure do...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've put over 60K on the rear rotors/pads since I purchased the truck and they were done before the dealer took it on trade. They are definitely MC brakes as they show up on my Carfax has having been done by a Ford dealer.

As for replacing rotors, I always replace them these days. They have gotten cheap enough that it doesn't make sense to me to resurface them, so I just replace them w/ the pads.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe the question should be as originally asked and NO, it's not normal to wear rear pad or shoes for that matter, before the front are replaced....ok, this part is subjective but usually it's 2:1 or even 3:1 front pads to rear. 1/4"??? He's BS'ing you as a friend, right? Yeah, no....they sound fine to me as long as they aren't stained with brake fluid or something odd. Be nice to them , leave and stay away from that firm<LOL>

I'm not a mechanic but I do know those front brakes do 70% of the stopping so it makes sense.

I need to replace mine and it has 63K now on the original..well, everything. It JUST began to show warp on the rotors so like others, I'll price replacing front rotors as well as front pads and I'll do the work myself. For what should be less than $200 I can keep my front end tight and get better braking.

Good luck

jeff