Lets talk about lockers!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys been a while since I have been around. I am currently building a custom chopper from the ground up so the Expy is suffering from neglect lol.

Anyway I went out the other day for a short 4x4 ride near my house I was coming off the top of a hill and came at it from a angle. when the first tire creaped off the back became airborn and I was sort of teatering on the front driver wheel and the back passenger wheel. So because there is no posi I was STUCK! I was so pissed all this work I have done to my baby and a little hill stopped me because of my stupidity. I kept thinking to myself if I had a locker I could just engage it and drive away.

So here I am anyone done a locker yet? I would really love a E-locker just because of the simplicity. this is what I am thinking of getting its for the front end, and later on I can get something for the rear.
http://completeoffroad.com/i-123127-auburn-ected-ford-8-8-locker-posi-545002.html?status=tell_sent

Thoughts?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well, it won't work in the front because of the fact that it defaults to the limited slip. You need either an eaton e-locker or an arb. Those will default to an open diff when not locked. The only problem with the eaton is that they void the warranty if you use oversize tires.

If you try running a limited ship in the front, the entire front driveline will turn as you drive, This will make the truck pull to the left (since the right side is disconnected in 2wd) and also kill your mileage. I would also suggest that if you put a selectable locker in the front, that you pick up a 4x4 posi loc cable to actuate the center axle disconnect, and ditch the vacuum system that the factory uses.

As for the rear, anything goes. You could put in a lunchbox locker or go for something selectable.

OP
OP
joecrotch

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow great comment. I had completely missed that it does not go to open when disengaged. I was thinking front first to give me that pulling front power but I guess it really doesn't matter. I'm gonna do some research on the Eaton diff's and see what I find. From what I can tell there really isn't a lot of options for the 9.75 Ford rear end. Seems like the 8.8 gets a lot more aftermarket attention.

Still want to hear from anyone running lockers selectable or not?

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you drive on the street, I would avoid detroit locker, my buddys got one in his 88F250, and its a pain to drive, it locks the tires everytime you give it the tiniest bit of throttle, and chirps the tires going around corners, Seems worse since he installed 35's on there

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my buddy loves his detroit. just dont drive like a race car driver on the street and it doesnt lock up. power on the street and none on the turns unless you dont mind chirps. the worst is in parking lots, but its really not that bad once you turn. haha so the rear these are your options. limited slip, arb, detroit, open, welded spiders.
for the front, open, limited slip, arb, detroit, welded, e-locker, ox locker.

and i think a few more for the front. my perfect combo, detroit rear and arb front.

OP
OP
joecrotch

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have detroit in my jeep with D44 and to be honest I love it. I do get the parking lot chirp and as long as you are easy on the throttle its managable. I really like the idea of a E locker in front so I can turn on and off as needed. and then a detroit out back. The Eaton I am looking at, for up front looks like it reverts to a open state so it should work perfect. And like Tonydiv said I like the idea of swapping the vacuum system for a cable actuated disconnect. In fact I may do that tomorrow I cant stand vacuum 4x4 too much to go wrong. Does anyone know if there is a kit for that. If not there is a jeep kit I can modify.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
personally i would get an arb. that way you can have on board air, but what you want to look for is front drive 8.8. i know people swap in 8.8 in the rear of jeeps, but in the front? idk. should be some out there. but maybe it dosent matter since its a locker. idk.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have detroit in my jeep with D44 and to be honest I love it. I do get the parking lot chirp and as long as you are easy on the throttle its managable. I really like the idea of a E locker in front so I can turn on and off as needed. and then a detroit out back. The Eaton I am looking at, for up front looks like it reverts to a open state so it should work perfect. And like Tonydiv said I like the idea of swapping the vacuum system for a cable actuated disconnect. In fact I may do that tomorrow I cant stand vacuum 4x4 too much to go wrong. Does anyone know if there is a kit for that. If not there is a jeep kit I can modify.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69