Liftgate Ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition Limited EL that is showing a Liftgate Ajar warning on the dash. The interior lights stay on and the rear view camera guide lines are not showing when in reverse.
I suspect that one of the two liftgate sensors has gone bad.
My question is: What is the procedure for determining which sensor is defective?

OP
OP
Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
Flip up window closed? With guide lines not showing, it indicates flip up window is not closed or bad sensor is there.

I should have been more explicit. The 2017 Expy EL doesn't have "flip-up windows". And all the doors, including the rear lift gate are verified closed. As I indicated; I'm pretty sure it's one of the rear lift gate sensors - there are two - is defective. My question is: what is the procedure for determining which lift gate sensor is the culprit.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should have been more explicit. The 2017 Expy EL doesn't have "flip-up windows". And all the doors, including the rear lift gate are verified closed. As I indicated; I'm pretty sure it's one of the rear lift gate sensors - there are two - is defective. My question is: what is the procedure for determining which lift gate sensor is the culprit.
Block or disable one.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Block or disable one?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The rear glass flips up. Sure does. Yup.

OP
OP
Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
Block or disable one?

Great idea! Now what is the procedure for doing that? Is the alarm triggered by the sensing of an open circuit to the sensor or is it triggered by the sensing of a closed circuit?

OP
OP
Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
This is to ALL of you who have responded to my query:

After owning this vehicle for a few years, and after you have informed me that the rear glass window on the lift gate does indeed open and where the button was to open it, I went outside, located the button and lo and behold! The glass unlatched and after closing it the lift gate warning went away and the rear view camera now provides the guide lines. In other words, all is well and working again thanks to you guys!
I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! Saved me a service call and anxiety.

God bless you all and thank you very kindly. I very much appreciate it.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is to ALL of you who have responded to my query:

After owning this vehicle for a few years, and after you have informed me that the rear glass window on the lift gate does indeed open and where the button was to open it, I went outside, located the button and lo and behold! The glass unlatched and after closing it the lift gate warning went away and the rear view camera now provides the guide lines. In other words, all is well and working again thanks to you guys!
I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! Saved me a service call and anxiety.

God bless you all and thank you very kindly. I very much appreciate it.
Wish more people die this ^