Liftgate seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstuke

Reaction score
Long time FORD owner, including a Factory Five Cobra I built myself. I just bought an 04 Eddie Bauer here in the islands. 5.4l 125K, pretty good shape. Hauls a boat just fine, and very roomy. And I acccept a 13 year old vehicle will need some work.

I have a bunch of questions:

1. The liftgate does not always double latch when I close it. I don't see an adjustment and am thinking the seal is shot and I just need to replace it? The wedge assemblies are in great shape, and I don't see any evidence of a wreck or damage. And it looks like there was a B version of the seal, so maybe improvements?

2. Is the button assembly on the DS door easy to replace? I sure would like to be able to lock it and leave the keys inside, but the existing buttons do not always work and I am afraid of getting locked out!

3. The rear A/C only blows hot. Is the dual A/C a dual compressor system? Maybe needs charging? Or new compressor/dryer/evap?

4. Any tips on keeping the video screen for the passenger video system shut? It opens itself once or twice a day!

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

2. The entire sill piece with the buttons comes off, not just the buttons. I don't think it is that hard to replace. I'm sure there must be a YouTube video.

3. You have one compressor and two evaporators. If you have a leak both systems would not be work unless someone disconnected the lines under the truck and capped them off. It could be a blend door issues where the door is stuck in heating. Do you hear clicking coming from the back?

4. Sounds like the locking mechanism is worn out maybe it can be replaced.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No clicking. Where is the blend door located?
It is on the right side behind the second row seat in the panel that covers the rear wheel hump. It is located toward the front of that trim piece and there two doors and actuators. On controls the temperature and on one controls whether the air comes out the top or the bottom vents. There are videos on YouTube that show you how to change it.

OP
OP
B

bstuke

Reaction score
OK,

Here is where I am at.

Both actuators were bad. Thankfully here I don;t need heat, and that actuator stays in the AC mode. I l also only need overhead AC, so that actuator is gone and in the overhead position. I kept both the pieces that fit in so I could always pop the tray off and move them.

I still do not blow cold in the back. Even at 60 it is not cold. The front is, but not the back. I can flip the door and it will blow super hot air the same temp as the front, but not cold. It feel like ambient temp air humid on cold, not dryer and colder air.

What else can I try?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS. That video was perfect, thanks. It took me all of 5 minutes.
The next step would a visual inspection of the lines running underneath up to the evaporator. Make sure they look like they are in good shape. (make sure somebody didn't cap them off) Then follow them to the front.

If they look okay, you need to have somebody check them for leaks.

OP
OP
B

bstuke

Reaction score
The next step would a visual inspection of the lines running underneath up to the evaporator. Make sure they look like they are in good shape. (make sure somebody didn't cap them off) Then follow them to the front.

If they look okay, you need to have somebody check them for leaks.
Gotcha. But if the back leaked, wouldn't the front not work as well?

Or are they two separately charged systems?