Liftgate seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. But if the back leaked, wouldn't the front not work as well?

Or are they two separately charged systems?
I'm not 100% sure but I believe there is a solenoid valve that closes off the system when you turn it off. I am not sure because I've always taken it to the dealer for a/c issues. In theory if there is a leak in one and you use the both systems you will eventually lose all of the refrigerant.

OP
OP
B

bstuke

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I believe there is a solenoid valve that closes off the system when you turn it off. I am not sure because I've always taken it to the dealer for a/c issues. In theory if there is a leak in one and you use the both systems you will eventually lose all of the refrigerant.
OK cool thanks, didn't think of a solenoid. I think me next step will be grabbing a can of AC Pro and hitting it with a charge. I think first I will measure the temp of the coming out the front AC and compare it with what it should be..

OP
OP
B

bstuke

Reaction score
OK the front system got down to 53 degrees. Shouldn't to be in the high 30's?

I saw a suggestion to clean the condenser with some oven cleaner. Since I am in the islands and everything rusts and corrodes, I may give that a shot as well..

OP
OP
B

bstuke

Reaction score
OK it took a whole can of AC Pro, but never got above 45PSI on the low side, and it is 95 degrees here with high humidity. It is blowing below 40 degrees now, so I am going to leave it for now and let it run and equalize. I will have to see if I can find screw on 134a cans as I don;t want to dump more oil and leak sealer at this point.

And I will clean the condenser in the morning when it is only 80 degrees!

I think I am going in a good direction at least.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you notice any change in the rear A/C? The problem with blindly adding refrigerant is that you can over charge the system and it it will act like it needs more charge but it will actually have too much. That is why you need to see both the high and low sides. Also I think you need have air blowing on the condenser coil. If you haven't you should take it for a ride and see if anything changes.

OP
OP
B

bstuke

Reaction score
Did you notice any change in the rear A/C? The problem with blindly adding refrigerant is that you can over charge the system and it it will act like it needs more charge but it will actually have too much. That is why you need to see both the high and low sides. Also I think you need have air blowing on the condenser coil. If you haven't you should take it for a ride and see if anything changes.
Totally agree. No change in the back. Front now blows 49 degrees at speed. Going to hit the condenser with oven cleaner in the AM. I realize that won't make the back work, but if it makes the front more efficient then it will cool the back more from the front vents. I don't have the luxury of a complete AC gauge set, and the AC people sit around and collect $500CI minimum to look at AC problems, so DIY is the best way to go for now.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. No change in the back. Front now blows 49 degrees at speed. Going to hit the condenser with oven cleaner in the AM. I realize that won't make the back work, but if it makes the front more efficient then it will cool the back more from the front vents. I don't have the luxury of a complete AC gauge set, and the AC people sit around and collect $500CI minimum to look at AC problems, so DIY is the best way to go for now.
I agree. You might want to get a service manual and see if there is a troubleshooting procedure for the Rear A/C.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a guy on eBay that sells the service manuals on CD. I don't remember his name but if you search there you will find him.