Long Cranking Time To Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrJohn1

Reaction score
My 2003 Ford Expedition takes a longer and longer time to start. When it was new it would start on the first crank. Now it takes about 3 seconds (seems like forever) and a little bit longer when it's cold.
I took it to the ford dealer and for a $90 diagnosis they couldn't find anything wrong.
I know you need fuel and spark at right time to start and run. Once started the car runs fine. I gave the car full throttle and didn't experience any hesitation, bogs, so it seems the fuel pump is capable of delivering and the fuel filter isn't clogged. As far as spark, the car runs fine. I read something about an idle air controller that lets air in with the throttle closed. I tried cracking open the throttle a little while starting in case the IAC wasn't working, but that didn't make a difference.
Does anyone have experience with this problem? Thanks in advance.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried letting the key stay in the run position for 2 seconds before you hit the starter? also see if you are blowing smoke out of the exhaust at these hard starts, you could have a leaking injector that is bleeding the fuel pressure off. This would show up as a hard start and some smoke when you start it. Also check the basics like battery condition. A weak battery can do this even if the starter sounds good.

Matt

OP
OP
M

MrJohn1

Reaction score
I have isolated the problem. With a pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail I see the following:
Key on, not running = 0 psi
Key on , running = 53 psi steady at different rpms
Turn key off after running = drops to 0 after 4 seconds
Shouldn't the Key on, not running condition be at a steady psi greater than zero since the fuel pump is running?
Shouldn't turning the key off after running retain the fuel pressure?
If this is correct this means I have a fuel leak in the fuel pump, fuel regulator, lines, or injector. To isolate the injector stuck open possibility, I left the key in ON position for a while and then started the car, but I didn't see any black smoke. Has anybody seen this kind of problem or knows some troubleshooting methods for injectors, fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulators?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it not pressurize the system when you first turn the key to the run position? Hmmm I not sure what mine does exactly either, but the pressure regulator is actually inside the tank instead of the fuel rail. I thought mine had closer to 60 PSI when I checked it last with the engine running. Looks like you may be needing a visit inside the tank, you may have an internal leak of some kind because mine will hold pressure for days at a time....
Matt

Spicoli

Reaction score
Find a fix

I know it has been a long time since the origonal post, but did you find the problem with your Expy??? Just wondering what the problem was...

OP
OP
M

MrJohn1

Reaction score
Problem Found

I suspected the problem had to do with the fuel regulator/pump, so I dropped the tank and removed the fuel pump/sender/regulator assembly. Inspection showed a plastic hose rubbing against a metal spring with a small hole in the plastic hose, causing a leak with reduced pressure. The replacement assembly came with a plastic sheath around the metal spring, so it seems Ford was aware of the design problem and fixed it.

gjgruber

Reaction score
Similar Issue Long Cranking Problem 2006 Ford Expedition

Greetings,

I have my 2006 in the shop currently with the problems on this thread.

They said that because this is a 2006 model there is more electronics involved than with a 2003 model. There is definitely a pressure problem going on. They said that they needed to replace... several parts associated with the gas line and tank to ensure better pressure.... a more preferred pressure is about 50 psi I am being told.

With all this said, I am told parts and labor will run me about $1000. I am thinking through whether or not I want to put more money into a vehicle that just turned over 100K miles or not?

My question is the truck once started runs fine, no acceleration problems, no lack of power etc. I am dealing with occassional long cranking starts through out the day... Not every start but several a day. I utilize the key in the ignition for a few seconds to initialize pressure... This seems to help.

If I choose not to get this immediately fixed... am I only asking for more mechanical trouble down the road shortly or is this just an issue to put up with?

I would greatly appreciate someones feedback ont this.

Best,
gjg

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this happened to me and once i changed the fuel pump....i was good to go...starts like day one

Spicoli

Reaction score
I changed my fuel pump myself, and it fixed my long crank problems. Bought a new one from eBay for $150, was fixed in one weekend.

gjgruber

Reaction score
Long Cranking - Follow Up Parts - Fuel Pump

Greetings,

I really appreciate this forum and the replies that have been received. They are most helpful.

I went to a local repair shop and I received the following feedback to the problem that I am having with the long cranking on my 2006 Expedition.

TECHNICIAN'S COMMENTS:NO CODES AVAILABLE. NO MISFIRES AT PRESENT TIME
TEST FUEL PRESSURE ON LONG CRANK. LET IT SIT FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME FUEL
PRESSURE WOULD BOTTOM OUT AT 5 PSI AND TAKE AWHILE TO COME BACK UP. ONCE IT 5
PSI IT STARTD. RETURNLESS SYSTEM.
FU 0 J REMOVE FUEL TANK AND DRAIN. REMOVE AND REPLACE FUEL PUMP MODULE ASSEMBLY. Labor $242.97 Parts. $599.00
REASSEMBLE AND RETEST. 0.00
1.00 FUEL PUMP MODULE $599.00

My question.. does it seem excessive to have the Fuel Pum Module part costing $599? I went to EBAY and priced these fuel pump moduels between $225-$275. I do not want to pay more for a part than necessary. Does this price range on EBAY sound more reasonable or is the $599 more accurate?

Does anyone know the exact part number for a 2006 Ford Expedition 5.4 4X4 Eddie Bauer and how much I should expect to pay for this part?

I would greatly appreciate the continued replies to my questions.

Again thanks...

Best Regards,
Jerry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire