Looking At A 2014 Limited 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4266A6A8-DFBF-47C7-8BF4-7B00F2A32243.jpeg I’ve been looking at a replacement for my ‘07 and have located a loaded Limited that looks to be a good candidate. Any particular / common sand traps with 14’s that I may not have encountered with my ‘07? This Limited is loaded to the gills so there’s definitely more technology related possibilities for failures. It’s got about 98k on the odometer.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Current price makes or breaks everything

Expect a huge jump in price between 14s and 15s due to facelift and engine switchover... and since you're pretty far south, probably treat a 14 with '98k same as any other '09 - '14 truck with 100k for pricing/haggling purposes (07 and 08 had some differences... then pretty much same old same old, except some negligible changes to how the shocks mount to the LCAs up front in '14)

If it's more than 2/3 the price of a '15, laugh the seller in the face and lowball him by $5 - 10k

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced my wrecked '07 with a 2010 Limited. The '07's engine was starting to concern me so it was actually a blessing in disguise. I've had the 2010 for 5 years now and it's been near bulletproof, with almost 200K miles and still going strong. Definitely one of the best vehicles I've ever owned, and my goal is to get to 300K miles. The only difference between my 2010 and your 2014 is the load leveling suspension (which I don't have). Other than that, it's pretty much identical. As noted above it's all going to come down to the price, but there is no reason to shy away from a 2014 due to any design flaws or faults. All the 5.4's have potential phaser and timing chain tensioner issues so pay particular attention to the oil condition, type of oil filter on it (was the oil changed at the quick change place or somewhere where they used the correct Motorcraft filter), and maintenance records. If it's been well cared for, then it has lots of life left in it. My 2 cents...good luck!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current price makes or breaks everything

Expect a huge jump in price between 14s and 15s due to facelift and engine switchover... and since you're pretty far south, probably treat a 14 with '98k same as any other '09 - '14 truck with 100k for pricing/haggling purposes (07 and 08 had some differences... then pretty much same old same old, except some negligible changes to how the shocks mount to the LCAs up front in '14)

If it's more than 2/3 the price of a '15, laugh the seller in the face and lowball him by $5 - 10k

This isn’t correct in my market area, the price difference is pretty negligible between a ‘14 and a ‘15. The 15-17 was replaced in 2018 so at this point it’s not current coupled with being a short production run/ less market share. It’s newer and as such should command a little higher premium but not 1/3 over a ‘14.

Anyway OP, the 2014 MY is pretty solid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueStangGT

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everybody. If the deal goes through I'll be sure to post up some pics.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its a native Oklahoma or southern truck your power running boards should be good to go. If the truck is from the rust belt I'd be sure to take a look and make sure they both operate smoothly.

You owe it to yourself to also sample a 2015+ EcoBoost. Atleast drive one before deciding.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 31870This Limited is loaded to the gills so there’s definitely more technology related possibilities for failures.

The power running boards and climate controlled seats are a common failure point (and both items have failed on mine multiple times). I haven't really had any other issues with the superfluous features that I can think of offhand.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You owe it to yourself to also sample a 2015+ EcoBoost. Atleast drive one before deciding.

I agree. I was 2014 or earlier only, cause "I don't want no V-6!". But then for me a good 2015 came up and I liked it. Plus I really do like the 'refresh' that came with 2015. Its my favorite looking of all of the Expeditions. I drove the Ecoboost v-6 and you know what, I like it.

No regrets (until my intake valves foul up).

OP
OP
BlueStangGT

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its a native Oklahoma or southern truck your power running boards should be good to go. If the truck is from the rust belt I'd be sure to take a look and make sure they both operate smoothly.

This one has lived its whole life in North Texas, West Texas, and Central OK. The climate controlled seats are one of the few things that didn't seem to be working and the dealership is taking care of it as well as doing the <shudder> spark plugs. I test drove a 2017 about 7 months ago and nearly bought it. I've got nothing against the turbo cars (although I found the electronic steering assist to be a little odd) but I'm real familiar with Modular motors in general and this '14 checks all the boxes including my target price.

The power running boards and climate controlled seats are a common failure point (and both items have failed on mine multiple times). I haven't really had any other issues with the superfluous features that I can think of offhand.
Excellent, thanks! How hard is the typical fix for the running boards?

I agree. I was 2014 or earlier only, cause "I don't want no V-6!". But then for me a good 2015 came up and I liked it. Plus I really do like the 'refresh' that came with 2015. Its my favorite looking of all of the Expeditions. I drove the Ecoboost v-6 and you know what, I like it.

No regrets (until my intake valves foul up).
Aesthetically, the only thing I've found about the 2015 - 2017 years that I don't like, and this really is super nit-picky, is the treatment of the front parking / fog lights. To me it looks like an afterthought and not a well-engineered design.