Looking for a new truck, few questions about second gen's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys. after selling my 99XLT last December I have come to realize I really need another truck. I have been looking at 2nd gen, specifically '03-'04 as I want the 2v. I also am not interested in an EB becauise while some of the options like heated sats are nice I cannot stand the beige interior.
Can the plastic lower panels that are always faded be pained the body color or only plastidipped?

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought you had a few questions? Did I miss something, I only see one question "Paint or Dip?". BTW, I have a 14 year old EB and my lower door panels are not faded. Wonder if that was specific to certain color combinations or people that live in TX and AZ?

As far as EB beige interior goes, that what seat covers and Weathertech liners are for!

OP
OP
Jay87LX

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought you had a few questions? Did I miss something, I only see one question "Paint or Dip?". BTW, I have a 14 year old EB and my lower door panels are not faded. Wonder if that was specific to certain color combinations or people that live in TX and AZ?

As far as EB beige interior goes, that what seat covers and Weathertech liners are for!

From what I have seen the only pained bottoms and not that plastic are EB's and therefore would have a beige interior.

So, Can I paint the lower body color?? I think the lowers on the XLT's are a different material than on the EB's

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
XLT have painted grey trim that don't fade...u can look for those...the regular plastic trim can be painted

Mr. 10K

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was making a joke about the EB interior, mine is tan, but as I jokingly said, that is what seat covers are for as well as a full set of Black or Grey WeatherTech Floor Mats! Plus I don't think Beige/Tan interior shows sun fad like other colors tend to.

As for EB lowers, I don't know if they should/can be painted, but as I was saying my 14 year old EB lowers have not faded and I don't think they are painted.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If u have the $$$ go to katskinz.com for replacement covers

Mr. 10K

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some XLT second gens have grey painted plastic trim, these are the ones with the factory fender flares. However, if the exp didn't come with flares then the grey plastic is not painted and will fade. You can absolutely paint the plastic and it will hold up over time if done right..EB and XLT Premium (with flares) will not fade because the trim is painted and clear coated just like the rest of the truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev