Looking to buy a used Expedition - Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Herman

Reaction score
First time poster so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong location.

I'm getting older and finally going to upgrade from a pop up camper to a travel trailer/camper. Since my current tow vehicle isn't capable of towing anything larger, I need to purchase an additional one. The fiance and I have researched several vehicles and the Expedition is the one we enjoyed the most. I'm currently looking to buy a used 2007-2011 and it will be used almost solely for towing.

Are there any recommendations I should listen to? Does anyone have any advice for us? We would really enjoy one with an integrated trailer brakes (Are they standard on Eddie Bauer or Limiteds?).

We haven't purchased anything yet and hoped we could ask the community for advice.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your sole purpose is towing be sure to get 3.73 gears. I’m not sure on the brake controller I have a tekonsha but it was tied in after the fact. For some reason 2011 calls out to me as the year they may have came integrated In higher trims? They make great towing vehicles minus the squat but with a proper hitch setup you will be good to go! The 5.4L loves to pull good luck.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the 3rd gens have a possibility of cam advancer problems. The pre 2008's had 2 piece spark plugs that can snap on removal, so my advice would be 08 or newer, or be sure plugs were changed to 1 piece style. Also ask to see service records if possible. The biggest reason for cam advancers/ timing chain issues is lazy oil changers. If you hear noises on start up or while running, move along to the next one. Other than that their great vehicles, I agree with the 3.73 gears if towing is what you want. Good luck, find the lowest mileage example, its better to log on your own miles, and usually is a more dependable Suv.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have the perfect expy for your needs
3.73 4wd king ranch with every bell and whistle at the time of production, except the CCD suspension
i will gladly sell mine.......AS SOON AS i can find a new KING RANCH 4x4 max with all the bells. second row buckets etc.

we absolutely love our 2016

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 was the first model year the in-dash OEM brake controller was offered, and it was available on all trim levels, standard on others. All trucks with the 7 prong RV plug under the back bumper will have the HD tow package and will include all needed wiring and relays for an aftermarket controller.

I don't tow often and dislike the tacky added-on look of a shin scraping Prodigy controller mounted low on the dash, so mine is in the console.

There are a few fans of the optional self-leveling rear air suspension here, myself included. There are also many others who can't/won't maintain it when needed and go strait for removal and do nothing but ***** about it. If you opt for the non-air rear, consider adding Nivomat shocks, which were available on later models. No idea of how big of a trailer you are looking at, you might be fine with a WD hitch.

Some claim the EL tows better. Its a whopping 7% longer wheelbase, so take the claim for what its worth.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually the built in brake controller was available as far back as 08 and was standard on the limited models from 08 up. The brake controller in the years you are looking at is low in the center stack above the cubby vs the more convenient location to the right of the steering wheel in the 15+ models. For the years you are looking at the expy was available with both 3.31 and 3.73 gears and both had the same tow rating so be careful to check the vin to confirm gearing. AVOID the 3.31, it does not tow well and is kinda pokey to drive even unloaded. The 3.73 makes the best use of the 5.4 motors torque.

I would reccomended the newest model year you can afford because there have been numerous enhancements to the cam phaser system parts since it first appeared in 2005. If you can get an 11 with 3.73 gears, go that route. If you could swing a 15+, they all have 3.73 gears (at least in the EL versions) and the ecoboost which is a towing beast. The 5.4 tows good as well, but I've owned both and like the turbo motor better for my high altitude mountain towing.

Doc T

Reaction score
This is great info, as my family just purchased a 2012 King Ranch due to getting a tag-along camper. I had a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder, which I loved, but needed a bigger vehicle. I was wondering about the trailer brake, as my wife insisted on 2nd row captain's chairs it left me with one available option in our price range, the one we purchased. It appears no one has ever towed with it, however both electrical connections are present. I hope it works for us and you find what you need as well. We will be pulling an older 28ft Bobcat behind it next month to the mountains of NC. Then to the Outer Banks in July. Happy and safe travels!

PensFan

Reaction score
2015 was the first model year the in-dash OEM brake controller was offered, and it was available on all trim levels, standard on others. All trucks with the 7 prong RV plug under the back bumper will have the HD tow package and will include all needed wiring and relays for an aftermarket controller.

I don't tow often and dislike the tacky added-on look of a shin scraping Prodigy controller mounted low on the dash, so mine is in the console.

There are a few fans of the optional self-leveling rear air suspension here, myself included. There are also many others who can't/won't maintain it when needed and go strait for removal and do nothing but ***** about it. If you opt for the non-air rear, consider adding Nivomat shocks, which were available on later models. No idea of how big of a trailer you are looking at, you might be fine with a WD hitch.

Some claim the EL tows better. Its a whopping 7% longer wheelbase, so take the claim for what its worth.

Hi- I have the air suspension on my ‘08, what maintenance do you recommend, I’ve had 2 units fail. Thx

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The biggest issue with any air spring suspension is rotting of the rubber bags themselves. Use a silicone spray on all 4 bags three times yearly. The wetter the better. If you can find it a rubber lubricant spray works great. Most if not all owners do nothing and wonder why they dry out and crack, then leak. Air springs only have a 10-14 year life span in best of cases, less if you ignore maintenance.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Andrew Herman

Reaction score
Thanks for the useful information. It will help me in my search for the right Expedition for my family.
About 2 months ago, I test drove an Expedition with the Integrated Brake Controller. It was located directly under the center console.
I can't remember the exact year of the vehicle I test drove.....I think it was either a 2012 or a 2013.
We REALLY loved the clean look of that integrated brake controller. However, I've never seen it on another Expedition.
Was it only available on certain packages or years?

Additionally, is there any way to verify if an Expedition has the 3.73 gears without checking the VIN?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt