Looking to buy an Expedition for towing a travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitzroy

Reaction score
Hi, I don't own an Expedition yet, but I am looking to purchase one for towing a 4,000 lb travel trailer. I joined this forum to unearth any details or ideas that may help me.

just1gear

Reaction score
I don't have experience with Expeditions, or travel trailers, but I just bought an Expedition to turn into a travel/adventure vehicle and possibly pull a small travel trailer. I'm responding to this just to acknowledge another AT enthusiast and maybe prompt a response from someone that can shed some light on your situation.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's bang for buck, buy a cheap 3rd gen SSV.

Add some lights and some tow mirrors and you're good to go

DogDad

Reaction score
Good choice. Max trailer is over 9,000 when equipped properly. Standard equipment is something like 5,900 lbs. you are good!

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
Fitzroy, we’re towing a 4500 lb 21’ Escape Travel trailer with a 2018 Expedition XLT Max 4WD. Don’t even know the trailer is back there EXCEPT that the gas mileage sucks. Getting 10.5-11 MPG. Got around 13.5 and sometimes better with a 2014 F-150 V-8 pulling the same trailer. We travel at about 62 mph so definitely not overworking the vehicle. As I mentioned, it tows great, inclines are a piece of cake and stopping is no problem. The ride is super but the gas - ugh! And as recommended I use premium when towing.

Mntoypuller08

Reaction score
I Tow a 23 ft travel trailer that weighs 5300 dry with a 2008 EL and tows great just make sure you get the equalizer hitch it makes a huge difference and tow mirrors definitely help and are easy to install