LOW profile rooftop rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
8e76002f1eb34ecbe47a02a77c54f348.jpg

I have the Rhino Rack. In this picture it is mounted to the factory rails and has a very close fit to the roof and rails. It would flex and make some noise. I live in Utah and we get some snow and I don’t drive this everyday so the snow would build up under the rack. You can’t get anything in the gap to clean it out. Over a few freeze thaw cycles I had big chunks of ice under the rack that I couldn’t get out. I ended up putting Yakima HD cross bars on it that raised it 4”. Doesn’t look as good, but there is room to clear the snow, room for my awning not to touch the cab and the wind noise was greatly reduced.
bfcdd6355f9182aa88ce3288f2377463.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dakota4ce

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
8e76002f1eb34ecbe47a02a77c54f348.jpg

I have the Rhino Rack. In this picture it is mounted to the factory rails and has a very close fit to the roof and rails. It would flex and make some noise. I live in Utah and we get some snow and I don’t drive this everyday so the snow would build up under the rack. You can’t get anything in the gap to clean it out. Over a few freeze thaw cycles I had big chunks of ice under the rack that I couldn’t get out. I ended up putting Yakima HD cross bars on it that raised it 4”. Doesn’t look as good, but there is room to clear the snow, room for my awning not to touch the cab and the wind noise was greatly reduced.
bfcdd6355f9182aa88ce3288f2377463.jpg

How long of a rack is that one? How much of your panoramic roof is blocked by it? I like the look! Also noted is that you said wind noise—-that might be an issue.

Also to the earlier post—-it’s not a Ford specific item. Universal fit.

OP
OP
Dakota4ce

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ford rails seem to bow up, wonder if there are “flatter” versions that work.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. 76”x54” with the added side rails. I picked this size because it fits perfect and still lets the sunroof pop up and open. The rack covers from the split in the glass to the tailgate. The stock rails are the lowest you will get. They do have an arch to them so the platform is not rock solid like it is with the HD rails. I also have the front air damn and even with it there is a lot of noise to the otherwise quite cab of the G4 Expy. I was super surprised that the noise was cut down so much going higher in the air with the rack. In another thread there is a guy who took off the factory rail system and had a new system put on. It looks pretty low and solid. I don’t have a good side picture. But you can zoom in on this one. 9b16977e85491c5ffd94580f64432e72.jpg