LOW profile rooftop rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to do a SwitchPros 8 for the switches. I still have a full sized bar to put on the front of the rack. I will also add a light strip for the awning. I haven’t had time to get it all done.

Looking forward to hearing how you like the SwitchPro. Had my eye on that system too. What light bar are you going with? Flat or curved?

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing how you like the SwitchPro. Had my eye on that system too. What light bar are you going with? Flat or curved?

Switch pros are great. There are cheaper options out there but there is no comparison. I saw a post from SEMA someone is making one with a screen so you can make your own icons or pictures. I’m hiding mine behind the sun visor. I was going to do a KC Gravity Pro 6 but the wind noise was terrible. Looked good though. I have a cheap 50” double row straight I am going to try to see the wind noise level. I don’t want to add anymore noise to the cab. If it checks out I will get a Rigid to match the rest of my lights. If not I will put one in the grill like Deadman. A-Pillar lights, rear lights, awning and Maxtrax did not add anymore noise. 9 big round lights was to much noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Switch pros are great. There are cheaper options out there but there is no comparison. I saw a post from SEMA someone is making one with a screen so you can make your own icons or pictures. I’m hiding mine behind the sun visor. I was going to do a KC Gravity Pro 6 but the wind noise was terrible. Looked good though. I have a cheap 50” double row straight I am going to try to see the wind noise level. I don’t want to add anymore noise to the cab. If it checks out I will get a Rigid to match the rest of my lights. If not I will put one in the grill like Deadman. A-Pillar lights, rear lights, awning and Maxtrax did not add anymore noise. 9 big round lights was to much noise.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The screen might look cool but I'd rather have the tactile feel of individual buttons. I don't want to have to stare at a screen to flash to pass etc. Are you going to wire any of them into the hi beam? I'm hoping to have mine setup on the hibeam then use the switch to override full time. Pretty easy to do with an extra relay if the SwitchPro can't do it on its own.

I hear you on the KC Pros... I have my LightForce HID 240s left over from my Raptor. One day I want to come up with a removable solution but I have a lot of other fish to fry first. I'd honestly try to mount a quality bar in the bumper before adding to the roof. No matter what you put up there it's going to add noise. A curved bar might save some wind noise but either way you are going to hear it. Looking forward to what you come up with!

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got some pictures of the company I work for's camera car we are building. This is the best way to get an extremely strong low profile rack but it's not going to be easy or cheap.

And since the cool thing to do here at the moment is humble brag about Cayenne Turbos... Here goes... :Big Laugh:

Screenshot_20200309-115815_Instagram.jpg

Lugnut

Reaction score
I went with the Rhino Rack Vortex Stealth Bars for my long body FX4. I had initially ordered a pair of the RSB06B bars based on the fitment guide on etrailers.com, however the front bar was just really at the maximum width when I installed it, and I didnt feel comfortable with putting weight on that cross bar. So I ordered a single RSB07B, and I have all 3 cross bars on there now. So far it has been great, and there is no appreciable wind noise increase when running it bars only, even over the century mark. I've used it with my Thule Xt XL box just fine, and am currently cross shopping cargo baskets so I can tie down some camping bins & rotopax/ jerry cans.

IMG-0042.jpg

IMG-0042.jpg

IMG-0043.jpg

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the Rhino Rack Vortex Stealth Bars for my long body FX4. I had initially ordered a pair of the RSB06B bars based on the fitment guide on etrailers.com, however the front bar was just really at the maximum width when I installed it, and I didnt feel comfortable with putting weight on that cross bar. So I ordered a single RSB07B, and I have all 3 cross bars on there now. So far it has been great, and there is no appreciable wind noise increase when running it bars only, even over the century mark. I've used it with my Thule Xt XL box just fine, and am currently cross shopping cargo baskets so I can tie down some camping bins & rotopax/ jerry cans.

View attachment 34881

View attachment 34882

View attachment 34883
Why a cargo basket over a platform? I’m in the research stages of buying crossbars and platform now and I’m just curious about your choice. I’m leaning towards the Yakima platform and their HD rails but I’m always open to new options to explore.

Lugnut

Reaction score
Honestly----i had no idea that Yakima made a platform until you just mentioned it. My personal issue with platforms as opposed to the traditional cargo baskets was simply the need to purchase additional side rails. Looking into the Yakima LockNLoad now it looks pretty good. Sounds like a yakima platform w/ side rails and clamps for my bars would run about $1k

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lugnut

They said I could use three of the lighter duty rails and get a lower hight or two HD rails. I may never put a tent on top but you never know.

Artie, Lugnut

The Yakima rack has the same channel size as the Rhino Rack for the accessories. The Yakima slates run the the opposite way as the Rhino. Some report it’s has more wind noise but a lot of reviews says it’s the best platform for the money. The platform is the way to go. You can add side rails all the way around if needed. Tons of accessories and room for rocket boxes, lumber, whatever you want. I put two Milwaukee Packout bases on mine with the Maxtraks brackets and still have room for a box or bag.
9e3850b4a3d2b8c57fb62ef17b30bde2.jpg
9e2b5480fa21ec357711e01b48e80787.jpg

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lugnut

They said I could use three of the lighter duty rails and get a lower hight or two HD rails. I may never put a tent on top but you never know.

Artie, Lugnut

The Yakima rack has the same channel size as the Rhino Rack for the accessories. The Yakima slates run the the opposite way as the Rhino. Some report it’s has more wind noise but a lot of reviews says it’s the best platform for the money. The platform is the way to go. You can add side rails all the way around if needed. Tons of accessories and room for rocket boxes, lumber, whatever you want. I put two Milwaukee Packout bases on mine with the Maxtraks brackets and still have room for a box or bag.
9e3850b4a3d2b8c57fb62ef17b30bde2.jpg
9e2b5480fa21ec357711e01b48e80787.jpg

To me the horizontal cross bar layout on the Yakima makes more sense for placing gear than the verticals on the rhino platform. Now with your news of the rhino accessories fitting the Yakima rack I think the Yakima is what will work best for my needs.

how can you have a RTT when the weight limit on our trucks roof rack is 165? Or am I mistaken with that number?

Killer set up BTW and thanks for the deets!