Maybe cam phasers? Timing chain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I found part of the problem.
The expy had about 2.5-3 quarts of the trashy Firestone oil left in it and it was just a few hundred miles over the change mark.
I drained it out and replaced with 7 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter today myself. It sounds a bit better but on the way home I got the shaking/knocking at the stop light just before my house.
The expy did the whole diesel noise thing for a few seconds until I gave it throttle then it was back to normal but now the CEL is on.
Tomorrow I'm having my uncle use his computer to check what the light is about and today I have ordered the new VCT solenoids.
Will keep this thread updated for those who are following along.
Thanks,
Jared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maloburro

Reaction score
Definitely keep us updated. I hope you figure it out soon. If there's a harbor freight close by sometimes they have code readers for $40 on sale.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely keep us updated. I hope you figure it out soon. If there's a harbor freight close by sometimes they have code readers for $40 on sale.

Yeah there is but my uncle supposedly had a good one...
Just seems weird to me that now after the issue happening like 8 different times the CEL comes on

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read my codes today and I got P0022 says it's camshaft position timing over-retarded in bank 2... Says the cause could be the VCT solenoid, which I will be changing both of on Monday afternoon, so far still driving fine with new oil and no CEL yet after clearing the codes.
Will leave truck parked until Monday night for now

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well guys sorry for posting so late (those of you in EST).
I finished the VCT solenoids this afternoon and checked oil levels and it appears we are good to go! The Expy is running smooth and is holding proper oil pressure again.
The old VCT solenoids were really not that bad at all and IMO probably didn't even need to be changed but the updated solenoids are constructed a bit differently so I'm thinking of it as preventative maintenance.
Looking into the head of the motor it actually appears very clean telling me that although the previous owner did not care to watch out for rust on the body (rockers/rad supp.), he did change the oil and filter which is good.
The solenoids are very easy to change for those of you wondering how to, you simply poke a hole in the middle of the seal and yank it off with a pick making sure to not drop any debris AT ALL into the cam and then get a T27 screwdriver long enough to loosen the screw holding the solenoid and slowly pull it out as you remove the screw then reverse to install the new solenoid and bang the new seal over it with a 30mm or so socket and obviously plug it back in and reconnect your neg battery cable.
I think the best thing that I did to solve this issue was change the oil to full synthetic with a synthetic filter....also the solenoids were pretty dry and prolly beat up because of the little amount of oil in the engine.
If anyone has any questions or concerns by all means!
Thanks guys feels great to drive my truck again,
Jared
5571bef0b922511d9b9240d5cc967f7e.jpg

nbpace

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm obviously new here and didn't want to post another thread. I posted in one of the sticky's but thought this was a good thread to reply to as well as it's related. I'm looking at an expedition tomorrow to possibly buy. Is it correct that the cam phaser issue is only on 2005-newer models, or do I have that wrong?

Thanks, and when I do get an Expedition I'll probably start a thread with some pics and whatnot.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm obviously new here and didn't want to post another thread. I posted in one of the sticky's but thought this was a good thread to reply to as well as it's related. I'm looking at an expedition tomorrow to possibly buy. Is it correct that the cam phaser issue is only on 2005-newer models, or do I have that wrong?

Thanks, and when I do get an Expedition I'll probably start a thread with some pics and whatnot.

Hey nbpace,
Yes you are correct no phaser on the 2003-2004 Expeditions.
Think it's like a EGR system or something I don't really know but you won't have the chain/phaser issues on the 2V 5.4L