Melling oil pumps are a waste of time and money.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry I'm just not buying it (literally), maybe if you are racing or something...……..but even then I doubt it. I have seen this ploy too many times over the years, people will always jump at the chance to sell you something you don't need if it looks promising. Look at those guys on TV selling tar for leaks you can buy at the hardware store for half as much. (and people are buying it!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And then there is the guy from Pawn Stars pushing single edge razors and claiming they are better. I can buy a bag of those at the dollar store and they work long and well...…...no silver bullet there and he went down in flames. Not even a nice try Rick.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread needs a new title.

297.jpg
Not just the old men do it. I do it.

Some of us have an opinion on almost everything.
When it rains, I'm bitter as hell and rarely leave the house.... unless we're under a pandemic and they tell us not to go out then of course I run right out and roam the streets.
Bastards!

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the Melling.

Theres just something about my oil pump bypassing a large amount of oil at 2200rpm that has me question if this was intentional, or "good enough"...

I work with a lot of engineers, and they are not the all knowing bunch everyone makes them out to be.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the Melling.

Theres just something about my oil pump bypassing a large amount of oil at 2200rpm that has me question if this was intentional, or "good enough"...

I work with a lot of engineers, and they are not the all knowing bunch everyone makes them out to be.

I’ve seen that video, it’s a bit over dramatized. The oil leaking out the backer plate is a pimple on a monkeys butt compared to the 50-60 pounds per square inch it’s pumping through the engine at 3,000-4,000 rpm where they were showed it leaking.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve seen that video, it’s a bit over dramatized. The oil leaking out the backer plate is a pimple on a monkeys butt compared to the 50-60 pounds per square inch it’s pumping through the engine at 3,000-4,000 rpm where they were showed it leaking.
Just like for all the years of building muscle car engines they always told you to put a high-volume oil pump. High-volume oil pump was part of every parts kit when you were rebuilding an engine. And then some of them only had high pressure pumps. Then after about 25 years of that you have some engine builders finally say that they would prefer not to put high volume pumps that are standard pump was just as good if not safer everybody had their opinions and all in all I don't think any engine was ever damaged or blew up because of the oil pump selection. More had the pickup to vibrate and fall off of the oil pump because it was pressed in like on a lot of them then anything else. They were out there chamferring oil holes on crankshaft and that probably did provide better lubrication but the oil pumps probably didn't matter. But it sounded good and they were cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right, and lets not forget oil pressure is determined by clearances and surely the stock pumps are engineered with more than adequate pressure/volume. What happens when you try to drink out of an upturned bucket of water ?...………….overkill.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right, and lets not forget oil pressure is determined by clearances and surely the stock pumps are engineered with more than adequate pressure/volume. What happens when you try to drink out of an upturned bucket of water ?...………….overkill.
That's what most of the old school Builders would say. The stock pump provided plenty more than enough.