Melling oil pumps are a waste of time and money.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People will always have differing opinions and references, which is why there are conversations, disagreements, arguments, whatever, but it takes a special level of intentional ignorance to state "You will NEVER convince me..." on any topic.
Well, there's a fine line there. When someone's trying to convince you of something that you have seen differently many times it's almost one of those you'll never convince me....but it is a pretty bad way to word it

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, there's a fine line there. When someone's trying to convince you of something that you have seen differently many times it's almost one of those you'll never convince me....but it is a pretty bad way to word it
Why? I have seen enough and done enough so I know what I know. There are things nobody will ever convince me of and the same goes for you. Will anybody ever convince you the sky is purple?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why? I have seen enough and done enough so I know what I know. There are things nobody will ever convince me of and the same goes for you. Will anybody ever convince you the sky is purple?
Not overall but I very frequently say that people should never say what they will never do or that things could never happen. I often say, even on this forum, that everything is relative.
I have at times looked out and the sky is purple. It is often orange and red too. But yet everyone always says the sky is blue, the grass is green, the sun is warm, little babies are so small.

That was my same argument repeatedly with someone else on here about facts.
Facts and statistics I only the overall consensus or the numbers after the entire sample group was sampled. They're always extremes on each end that are not representative of the published fact or statistic at all.
If you are on either extreme end and you see the published number that's considered fact by everyone.... You either feel you're really lucky are really unlucky but, he don't really give a rat's ass about what the published number is because that's not what you are being subjected to.
So I often say things like everything is relative, or it depends.
I'm with you on the experience part though. I get into what some would call arguments often with people but they're not arguments. It is simply me restating what I have already stated that is my experience and what I feel my own personal future probabilities will be.
Some people can't seem to handle it and they want you to agree with them and that's why it becomes very close to an argument.

I'm not going to agree with someone even though that 80% of Ford modular engines do a certain thing. That can be an established fact that we can prove BUT if I have had several hundred Ford modular engines over the past 26 years and only seen this occurrence 3 times or less then it's just not hitting the 80% mark for me.
It would be very logical to assume that my next 10 Ford modulars will experience the same results I have had previously and not the results of everyone else.
To some this defies all logic and reason because all they can look at is the published numbers for the entire group of all Ford modulars in the entire world which is worthy statistics come from.
What they're not taking into consideration is my own personal situation or area , conditions, or type of use obviously is having a great influence on the engine and somehow preventing these things from occurring.

It works the other way too. If you're familiar with the old original 5.0 Mustangs of the 80s and 90s you'll know that the 5-speed transmission wasn't the best but it wasn't exactly an epidemic of failures. If you drove the normal and just road raced some there wasn't really a problem. People who really knew how to drive and drove very hard and cranked up the horsepower some had problems with them.
So somewhere there was a published number about the percentage of failures.
I had a friend in high school whose father had an LX 5.0 with the trunk.
This was considered the fastest one because it was a little bit lighter than the GT.
He was on his third transmission under warranty when they finally told him they weren't replacing any more. I guess he shifted the shit out of them.
He was basically a GM guy who had several built cars. One with a 454 with a blower and two four barrels on it.
I guess he was driving the hell out of that Mustang.
So because of this guy's conditions, the failure rate was much higher than any published norm for him. You could tell him all day long that they were good transmissions and he would have laughed at you.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a Side Story I want to give credit to this man who blew up his Mustang Transmissions. He is the one that solidified my goal to own a Buick Grand National.
I knew what they were and thought they were awesome looking and have you even driven by a car lot where three of them were part and looked at the window sticker.
They were like $17,800 and I was 16 with a part-time job 3.35 an hour. A little out of my price range then.

I was friends with his daughter who had a Nova with a 355 in it and he was giving me a case of Valvoline 20w 50 racing motor oil. And I case I mean the old case. 24 cans of oil. Cardboard waxed cans with the metal top and bottom that you had to push the spicket through to pour out. Now I was no stranger to this because I had been a motor head since I was about 8 years old and was taking valve covers off my mom's 283 in her 67 Malibu when I was 12.
So he was giving me this old case I have been sitting in his garage for either my 68 LeMans with a 350 in it or my 67 LeMans with a 400 Pontiac in it. I can't remember which car I had at the time. Probably the 67 because I did a lot of engine work on that and that's probably why I was getting the oil.
We were talking hot rods and cars that stuff and he told me about the Mustang he had, which had already gotten rid of, and I told him that I used to always chase those down and race them so it must have been my 67 because it was much faster than the Mustangs.
Then the Grand National came up and I said what about those Buick Grand Nationals with the turbo 6 are those faster than a Mustang?? I naively said at my young tender age of 18.

He said oh, and I quote: "Are they faster then a Mustang? Let me tell you how much faster they are in a Mustang. I raced one and not only did he beat me, he was so far ahead of me that he passed the finish line and when I passed the finish line he was already pulled over, had his hood raised, and was wiping off the chrome shield on his intercooler....yeah they're faster than a Mustang. The Buick Grand National is the baddest car to ever eat up American pavement!"

End quote!

It was this very second that I decided that I was going to have me a Grand National.
It was about three and a half years until I got one.
I kept that one for about 3 years and then sold it after minor front fender impact. I actually made money on the car from what I paid for it.

Then I got busy with big lifted four-wheel drive trucks for a while and my LeMans was just sitting for a few of years.

So about 5 years later in late 2000 I was thumbing through an auto trader magazine and one state away in Indiana saw this beauty. I could tell in the small thumbnail black and white picture that the paint had some gloss to it.
I drove this thing 6 times down to the Pigeon Forge Rod run in Tennessee. It's a 700 mile round trip for me.
It's my Beast!
My GPS still has the high-speed of 117 in it from racing a ZO6 Vette up 75 coming back from one of those trips.
I pulled him quite nicely to that speed. He obviously would have taken me higher up but I have no desire to drive an 87 boxy Buick Regal with narrow Weld Racing front tires any faster than 120 unless I'm on a race track.

I still have this one.

GN.jpg

GN2.jpg

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mostly agree and there are just some things that you and nobody else will ever convince me of. Too old, too wise, been there-done that, not buying it...……...

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a Side Story I want to give credit to this man who blew up his Mustang Transmissions. He is the one that solidified my goal to own a Buick Grand National.
I knew what they were and thought they were awesome looking and have you even driven by a car lot where three of them were part and looked at the window sticker.
They were like $17,800 and I was 16 with a part-time job 3.35 an hour. A little out of my price range then.

I was friends with his daughter who had a Nova with a 355 in it and he was giving me a case of Valvoline 20w 50 racing motor oil. And I case I mean the old case. 24 cans of oil. Cardboard waxed cans with the metal top and bottom that you had to push the spicket through to pour out. Now I was no stranger to this because I had been a motor head since I was about 8 years old and was taking valve covers off my mom's 283 in her 67 Malibu when I was 12.
So he was giving me this old case I have been sitting in his garage for either my 68 LeMans with a 350 in it or my 67 LeMans with a 400 Pontiac in it. I can't remember which car I had at the time. Probably the 67 because I did a lot of engine work on that and that's probably why I was getting the oil.
We were talking hot rods and cars that stuff and he told me about the Mustang he had, which had already gotten rid of, and I told him that I used to always chase those down and race them so it must have been my 67 because it was much faster than the Mustangs.
Then the Grand National came up and I said what about those Buick Grand Nationals with the turbo 6 are those faster than a Mustang?? I naively said at my young tender age of 18.

He said oh, and I quote: "Are they faster then a Mustang? Let me tell you how much faster they are in a Mustang. I raced one and not only did he beat me, he was so far ahead of me that he passed the finish line and when I passed the finish line he was already pulled over, had his hood raised, and was wiping off the chrome shield on his intercooler....yeah they're faster than a Mustang. The Buick Grand National is the baddest car to ever eat up American pavement!"

End quote!

It was this very second that I decided that I was going to have me a Grand National.
It was about three and a half years until I got one.
I kept that one for about 3 years and then sold it after minor front fender impact. I actually made money on the car from what I paid for it.

Then I got busy with big lifted four-wheel drive trucks for a while and my LeMans was just sitting for a few of years.

So about 5 years later in late 2000 I was thumbing through an auto trader magazine and one state away in Indiana saw this beauty. I could tell in the small thumbnail black and white picture that the paint had some gloss to it.
I drove this thing 6 times down to the Pigeon Forge Rod run in Tennessee. It's a 700 mile round trip for me.
It's my Beast!
My GPS still has the high-speed of 117 in it from racing a ZO6 Vette up 75 coming back from one of those trips.
I pulled him quite nicely to that speed. He obviously would have taken me higher up but I have no desire to drive an 87 boxy Buick Regal with narrow Weld Racing front tires any faster than 120 unless I'm on a race track.

I still have this one.

View attachment 35033

View attachment 35034
That's really nice, I always did like those. Look at the woman in the red mini-van checking it out.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's really nice, I always did like those. Look at the woman in the red mini-van checking it out.
I never noticed that.
I always like the way the young guys will come up to me and go that's one of those turbos isn't it?? Or they really don't know what they are and some people think they're twin turbos some think they're V8 Turbo.... but the one thing they always do know is that they were fast.
And they weren't even that fast for their time it's just that everything was so slow at that point in time. The thing is they are probably the most easily modified performance car ever made.
You can get so much for so little out of them.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mostly agree and there are just some things that you and nobody else will ever convince me of. Too old, too wise, been there-done that, not buying it...……...
I'm just saying that sometimes it's not a matter of convincing you of something. Even if you have seen something happened many times a certain way it is very possible that someone else has had a different experience so you can't tell them that it didn't happen if they know for a fact it did on their end.
That's when sometimes I just have to tell somebody that well I've certainly never seen it.

Plati

Reaction score
If you're wearing those tac-lite sunglasses on a cloudy day with a hangover, yes the sky is purple. No doubt. Its all a matter of terminology and perspective. Color only really exists in the brain of an individual person. All people experience it slightly differently.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65