Melling oil pumps are a waste of time and money.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kind of like my theory on voting as I got older:
If it cost money, vote NO!

I'm not a super fan on engine sand cars of what little dab you have to do to get by because sometimes that will bite you in the ass but adequate or slightly above adequate is plenty good enough. People run around out here buying expensive other brand parts because their performance or high performance and then other people waste tons of money to buy Motorcraft ball joints and control arms when none of that is necessary.
The last ball joint I put on a car was either on my 98 Town Car which was an upper ball joint I think I paid $8.95 for it at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It has a lifetime warranty and that has been on there about four years and it's doing just fine. The other one would be an upper ball joint on a 2000 Expedition and it was just cheaper and easier, since they can't decide to make one that actually presses into the factory arm, to buy the complete upper control arm. $36 later and about 35 minutes and that one has been good for years also.

I had a friend that I met back in 1989. His dad is a GM retiree who is owned too many Cadillacs to remember. Total GM family.
He would only use ACDelco Parts on his cars because I guess he liked the pretty red white and blue boxes! He slept much better at night knowing he had genuine OEM Delco Remy parts at ACDelco on his cars.
We're talking everything to from ignition modules in the GM HEI 2 cap and rotor button and even ACDelco spark plug wires.
While these things were very high-quality they did not have a lifetime warranty like the auto lights I had been buying for a decade at Autoworks and other places had. I was even getting spark plugs replaced under their 2-year free replacement warranty I think some of them had a 3-year free replacement.
So finally he had an ACDelco ignition module fail and Stranded him but luckily close to his neighborhood. We slapped a $14 lifetime warranty one in there and I believe that car still has it in there. That's been over 20 years.
his AC Delco was over 50 bucks.
So I finally got him to start using the lifetime Duralast pads and now we moved on to other brands.
I will admit I am a tightwad and if I spent quadruple for an OEM part I would hate myself forever. Also, in that video that Ford hater never mentioned any oil pumps (unless I missed something) and that is what this thread is about. The 5.4 had some problems but I think they were all addressed a long time ago. All those cop cars ran just fine with them for many years and there are thousands of them on the road. I'm sure there are Chevy haters, Mopar haters, etc. My dad was a GM big wig retiree too that had a new GM car every year but he didn't like it when I dropped by with a brand new 1972 Mark IV ………..lol.

Last edited:

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those were bad because of not changing oil. You will NEVER convince me they need an aftermarket pump and don't call people stupid.:smiley-face-popcorn
Then why have the conversation at all? Your position is faith-based if you reject any facts that might alter your position.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then why have the conversation at all? Your position is faith-based if you reject any facts that might alter your position.
But other people are interjecting statements that they call facts when these are not substantiated they are just beliefs as to why these conditions occur so frequently.
As I said before, unless you can take a whole bunch of brand new 5.4 s and swap out the factory pump for a melling pump and then see what failures you have in the first hundred thousand miles you will never know.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But other people are interjecting statements that they call facts when these are not substantiated they are just beliefs as to why these conditions occur so frequently.
As I said before, unless you can take a whole bunch of brand new 5.4 s and swap out the factory pump for a melling pump and then see what failures you have in the first hundred thousand miles you will never know.

I’ll tell you lol. First the original old style tensioner gaskets with no lip will blow out sooner from the extra pressure, causing significant oil pressure loss as it sprays out the front of the block. The chain will start rattling on startups due to tensioners relaxing. This will cause chunks of the guides to fall off into the oil pan which will then get sucked up into the oil pickup tube. Now the Melling pump is only supplying 8 psi of pressure. Oops looks like it didn’t solve a thing. The oil pump isn’t the weak link in these engines, in your scenario with different pumps from new in the worst cases suffer the same fate with those old style tensioners.

While in some cases yes the oe pump wears out as it starves for oil and doesn’t supply good pressure anymore the big weak link always comes full circle to the original chain tensioners bleeding off pressure which over time send chunks of plastic into the oil pickup. The revised tensioners pretty much fix this engines troubles.

Last edited:

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Facts can be backed up by research and proven or disproved.

I'm not arguing anything that's been stated for or against the aftermarket oil pumps. My comment only addresses his automatic dismissal of any information that contradicts his opinion. That's faith/belief-based rather than evidence/fact based and willfully ignorant.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Facts can be backed up by research and proven or disproved.

I'm not arguing anything that's been stated for or against the aftermarket oil pumps. My comment only addresses his automatic dismissal of any information that contradicts his opinion. That's faith/belief-based rather than evidence/fact based and willfully ignorant.
Seems we had a lot of faith-based decisions on both sides of this debate. That's all I was saying that until you have the research to base the facts on we really don't know.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People will always have differing opinions and references, which is why there are conversations, disagreements, arguments, whatever, but it takes a special level of intentional ignorance to state "You will NEVER convince me..." on any topic.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People will always have differing opinions and references, which is why there are conversations, disagreements, arguments, whatever, but it takes a special level of intentional ignorance to state "You will NEVER convince me..." on any topic.
Ignorance, stupidity ….you're all brave behind the keyboard and need to grow up.