Metal or plastic oil pan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptors

Reaction score
Anyone notice yet if they have a metal or plastic oil pan? F-150s including the Raptor have used plastic oil pans and plastic drain plugs on the eco boost. There were a lot of leaks reported on the Raptor forum. Starting around February or March 2018 Raptors started coming with metal oil pans and metal drain plugs.

What’s on the Expedition?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what’s next..... perhaps a plastic block and pistons......didn’t even know they were doing that, I don’t even like plastic valve covers....the oil pan too??

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
First time I hear of this but glad you mentioned it cause last oil change I did I over tightened the drain plug in the confusion of trying to unscrew it to drain the oil and stripped the living hell out of the back end of the threads, I have to find an "enlarged" new drain plug and throw it my in my glove box next time I change oil.... I know this is unrelated but what do you do if you did that on a plastic pan with a plastic screw? New oil pan seems like the only viable option

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should hold on to my cast iron 5.4L with its various metal parts. No plastic valve covers or pan wanted here let alone a friggin plastic cylinder head. Plastic ages and brittles too much with the heat and cool cycles. Look at the water pumps, thermostats, radiators these days, sure the plastic works for a while....but we are seeing failures on average way sooner than with the metallic parts of old. I guess it’s make it cheaper and cheaper and charge more and more...

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I suppose the days of a 20 year car are coming to an end. The cheaper, smaller cars and imports have never achieved that longevity. Remember the Mavrick and the Vega? Disposable junk. Followed by Subarus, Kias, Yugos...

The standard bearer of longevity was the commercial offerings and high end full sized cars and trucks, mainly because that was what that market demanded: A 200,000 mile engine and a 20-year body for those who needed a tool and chose a car or truck by its return-on-investment rather than its cup holders or WiFi.

Increasing CAFE demands, economic constraints, and frankly less-educated and less thrifty consumers are opening the door to lower standards across the product line.

Plastic oil pans? On commercial offerings like trucks? Come on now.

A lot of guys will take one look at that and buy a Dodge.

Last edited:

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plastic Oil pans have been in use on Transmissions for many years now with no issues. In car assembly plants these transmission have to survive a "drop" test from approx. 3 feet onto cement.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plastic Oil pans have been in use on Transmissions for many years now with no issues. In car assembly plants these transmission have to survive a "drop" test from approx. 3 feet onto cement.

You can hardly say “no issues”. Many more leaky pans and catostophic failures caused by debris kick up with those garbage plastic pans. You can scout out various forums and read up on plastic pan failures. On a truck there should be no plastic oil or trans pan. It’s cheaper and that’s the only reason, the quality is inferior.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a mid year change to the EXPY also
Ist generation has an Aluminum main bearing girdle & plastic oil pan
2nd generation has no main girdle & has a full aluminum oil pan
Ist generation would be more robust when it comes to making a lot of power

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Super duty trucks have had them for a while too. Along with 1/4 turn drain plugs. The pans are reinforced plastic that are supposed to reduce weight and sound. I’m not to concerned given today’s manufacturing practices, materials, and testing.

Manufacturers also use lifetime fluids. The part their lubricating will only last as long as the fluid.