Oil Change Impossible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attempted to change the oil on the MiniBus today, I've done my own on all the cars I've owned, this one defeated me, for now.

Got the underbody panel removed, seems like a tiny amount of room to get to the oil pan drain plug [assuming i was on the right bolt, passenger side, at the rear of the pan?] between the crossmember & sway bar?

Must've been last changed by the Hulk, was worried about rounding it off, so I stopped. I don't have a 6pt wrench, and the 12pt wasn't grabbing right.

My floor jack [1.5t Pittsburgh Low-pro that was for my Lotus 7 replica] also might not be up to the task of lifting the truck either, need to look into an upgrade or QuickJack

Any tips on making this easier? Planning on adding a Fumoto, and maybe run a drain hose to bypass needing to pull the underbody, but getting the drain plug out has me flummoxed.
Seems like this is your first oil change on this. I'd take it back to the dealer you bought it from or whoever did the last oil change. You don't want to own the mess if things round off or the threads strip.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd figured almost all of that by the time I was done, it was just the dang drain plug that stopped me in my tracks.
Reattaching the undertray is a bit of a pain, it's a bit too flexible & makes getting the bolts started a pain.
Going to pick up a 6pt wrench, (is it 3/8 or 15mm?) and get a Fumoto ordered.
the socket is a 15mm, the ratchet type is 3/8" drive.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
10-4 thanks all.
Tempted to take it to the dealer. They changed the oil when they did the cam phasers, but don't want to end up with another roided Hulk tight drain plug.
Probably just get the Fumoto & a 6pt wrench & get it done. I already have the oil/filter.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pro tip... I rotate the tires at my oil changes. To do all at once, I use (4) air jacks positioned at the (4) jack points designated by arrows on the frame. Set (4) jack stands adjacent to the air jacks on the frame. I remove the felt cover, I have an FX4, so I remove the front two steel skid plates, makes for a much easier and cleaner oil filter replacement. This minimizes the sway bar oil splash and keeps filter oil from dribbling on the top side of the skid plates...plus I take the opportunity to rinse the mud off of the skid plates... sounds like a pain; but, once you get used to it with a power drivers, it only takes an extra few minutes.

Drain plug torque is 20 ft-lb. "Mechanics" that use impact wrenches on drain plugs deserve far worse punishment than our current system of justice allows... Just saying.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fumoto ordered, should be here tomorrow.
Will try my 6pt socket instead of the 12pt box-end wrench.
Going to need to get a heavier duty jack, or drive her truck to work where we have one, to rotate the tires. I, too, rotate every oil change.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used this tool from Lowe’s on my last oil change. It reduced my desire for the Fumoto valve. It allows you to finish unscrewing the plug without getting oil on your hands.
IMG_2697.jpeg

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It allows you to finish unscrewing the plug without getting oil on your hands.
fun fact a mechanic friend taught me, loosen it with the socket, then use your fingers to press it into the pan as you unscrew, then slide the bolt horizontally. works for these and other trucks, not for my wife's car where the bolt is inset.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's all well & good. My main issue is the impossibility of removing the drain plug.
Got the Fumoto yesterday, hopefully have time to get to it before the weekend's up.