Mileage Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gerardo Lami

Reaction score
Hi, Ladies and Gentlemen, my first post on this forum, I hope you can help me with this question. I will be buying a 2018 Expedition once the 2019 models come out. I will be towing a 5500lb boat occasionally, I see that I don't need the towing package with the higher gear ratio to tow this amount, but I would prefer to get the towing package anyway, better have too much towing capacity for future use. My question however is this, for those that own an Expedition with the towing package: How much of a reduction in mileage is there with the higher gear ratio, while driving without towing? Most of my driving will be non-towing, so I don't want to loose a lot of mileage due to the towing package while not towing.

Let me have your wisdom.

Flea

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure on the 2018s but our 2015 has the max towing package and it still came with the 3.15 rear end ration. With that, at 70 mph we see 20-22 mpg not towing, and towing we see around 9.1 with 87 octane fuel or around 10.8 with 93 octane. This is pulling a boat that weighs 6900s on the trailer according to the car scales at loves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gerardo Lami

Reaction score
Thanks, David. In 2018 the standard gear ratio is 3.15 but if equipped with the towing package the gear ratio goes up to 3.73 which is why I am concerned about possible loss of fuel mileage.

Flea

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the towing package, you will never regret not having enough grunt when a trailer is hitched up, but you for sure will regret those highway gears. I have the HD tow on my 17 which has the 3.73 gears (standard on the 15-17 EL regardless of trim). I get 20-21 on the highway with cruise set at 80mph and am thrilled with that. The second gen ecoboost motor in the 18s is supposed to get even better mpg so don't sweat it and just get the towing gears. When you tow plan on seeing single digit mpg, it's just the beast part of ecoboost showing.

OP
OP
G

Gerardo Lami

Reaction score
Great, Coolzzy, doesn't sound like there is a significant effect on the mileage, definitely will get the tow package.
Thanks.

Flea