Mirrors Popping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Atticus Mabrry

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is getting worse! Sometimes it just randomly goes to the inside on the right mirror and sometimes it will do it after the car has started running. Still have yet to find a Ford Service Tech that gives a shit. Like someone else on this forum said...if Ford is going to sell these high dollar trims...they better figure out how to provide the service people respect or they will leave promptly and go back to Mercedes, Lexus, or whoever.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, if you don't like how the dealer is treating you, ask to speak to the GM. Tell them what you're unhappy with, how you want it resolved and that you'll be complaining to Ford if your problem can't be resolved satisfactorily. If you call Ford's marketing department, they'll be happy to help you formally complain about the dealer.
Second, the mirror thing smells like an engineering problem, not a service problem. I haven't taken mine to the dealer yet for service, because Ford's engineers haven't told the techs how to fix the problem. So there's nothing they can do other than make sure the truck's put together correctly (which it probably is, since it's a common problem). It would appear that, on startup, the mirror memory/drive system is not able to sense the true position of the mirror (alternate: it starts driving it in the wrong direction and can never achieve the correct position because it's moving the wrong way. But I don't know the details of the position sensing/control system, so these are merely my best guesses.) Ford is likely now aware of the problem and they'll send some jr engineer to figure it out, which will probably take 8-12 weeks. Then begins the long and arduous journey of figuring out the best fix for production and how to roll it out to the already produced vehicles. My guess would be 2nd half of next year we might see a TSB for the mirrors.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, if you don't like how the dealer is treating you, ask to speak to the GM. Tell them what you're unhappy with, how you want it resolved and that you'll be complaining to Ford if your problem can't be resolved satisfactorily. If you call Ford's marketing department, they'll be happy to help you formally complain about the dealer.
Second, the mirror thing smells like an engineering problem, not a service problem. I haven't taken mine to the dealer yet for service, because Ford's engineers haven't told the techs how to fix the problem. So there's nothing they can do other than make sure the truck's put together correctly (which it probably is, since it's a common problem). It would appear that, on startup, the mirror memory/drive system is not able to sense the true position of the mirror (alternate: it starts driving it in the wrong direction and can never achieve the correct position because it's moving the wrong way. But I don't know the details of the position sensing/control system, so these are merely my best guesses.) Ford is likely now aware of the problem and they'll send some jr engineer to figure it out, which will probably take 8-12 weeks. Then begins the long and arduous journey of figuring out the best fix for production and how to roll it out to the already produced vehicles. My guess would be 2nd half of next year we might see a TSB for the mirrors.
Well reasoned and well said. I think some of the frustration on the part of those that go into the service center and get the runaround comes from the fact that never in my history of going into a Ford service center, has anyone said anything like what you typed out. Usually it's "welp, we cant replicate it, so keep driving it around and come back if you can replicate it." Or even worse: "We can't replicate the issue so we're going to give your truck to Jimmy for a few days to drive to and from his house an hour away so he can get some good wheel time to try to replicate it for us."

All of that being said, I am generally happy with my service center but I think that's because I have lowered my expectations HA.

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to save everybody some time (including that poor young engineer), follow these steps:
1. Search the forums for a problem and see if anyone know what the solution is. If there's a known solution, now you know what needs to be done.
If not...
2. Figure out how to replicate it.
2a. Take it to the dealer and demonstrate the problem to the tech and show them how to induce it. The tech will then likely run the generic service manual procedure for "customer reports a problem (other than those described above) with part/system X." If that doesn't fix the problem (for the mirror problem, it won't), the the tech will send something off to Ford letting the engineers know there's a problem that can't be fixed with the existing service manuals. If you showed how to reliably replicate the problem, the engineer can run out to any vehicle in inventory and get to work.
2b. Go back to the forum and tell everyone else how to replicate the problem. Then they can go perform step 2a.
2c. The other owners go show their dealers that there's a problem, Ford starts paying for a bunch of shop time at the dealer (dealer's happy, 'cause paid for shop time is profit), and Ford realizes it's going to be cheaper to fix the problem than it is to keep paying for a bunch of warranty claims keep re-occurring and assigns the aforementioned junior engineer to the problem...

davidilan

Reaction score
For the record I have the exact same problem. I have 500 miles on my Exp Platinum and the mirrors have clicked about 3x....

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey d i like how u blacked out ur platty...looks amazin why u not showin it off lol

OP
OP
Atticus Mabrry

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I asked to speak to the GM. After telling him all my grievances about his service team and how they were refusing to fix things he repeated that they couldn't replicate the issue and then....He told me "I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from...we treat people who buy cars from us well." Anyone think that is at all appropriate for a dealership with the Ford name on it??? The car is warranted by the company name on your dealership!

They failed to fix a single issue when I took it in and somehow managed to kill the battery and refused to replace it.

Took it to another dealership, Athens Ford, and they fixed every single thing!!! Except the mirrors haha....they still don't know how to fix that but I'm ok with it since its documented. The guys at Athens Ford did an amazing job! The upholstery is fixed, and they ordered parts to fix this odd grind that occasionally happens which they said is a faulty hub part. It also was doing something that sounded funny like a deep grumble when it was cold and they fixed that...no clue what they did...

It's truly amazing the quality difference between two dealerships!!!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad they were able to fix ur truck with great service to boot. Noone can figure out my bt issue, gave up on it, enjoy the truck fully otherwise. I remember Athens Ford getting rele good reviews. I was very much considering driving the 12 hrs to get my truck from there(they were supposed to get a truck the exact same as mine but max version) bit i dnt think it passed qc becuz it never came in.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I asked to speak to the GM. After telling him all my grievances about his service team and how they were refusing to fix things he repeated that they couldn't replicate the issue and then....He told me "I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from...we treat people who buy cars from us well." Anyone think that is at all appropriate for a dealership with the Ford name on it??? The car is warranted by the company name on your dealership!

They failed to fix a single issue when I took it in and somehow managed to kill the battery and refused to replace it.

Took it to another dealership, Athens Ford, and they fixed every single thing!!! Except the mirrors haha....they still don't know how to fix that but I'm ok with it since its documented. The guys at Athens Ford did an amazing job! The upholstery is fixed, and they ordered parts to fix this odd grind that occasionally happens which they said is a faulty hub part. It also was doing something that sounded funny like a deep grumble when it was cold and they fixed that...no clue what they did...

WTF! Yeah that sounds highly inappropriate for that GM to say and, honestly, if it were told to me I think I’d go on every internet hilltop and rant about it so anyone looking for reviews of that place would hear about it. Absolutely unacceptable. I’m glad you got everything fixed at the other dealership, sounds like you’ll be going there from now on.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yeah, I'd be calling Ford Corporate and complaining about the 1st dealer and begging to be sent a survey so you can give them a 0 star rating.