Missfire ugg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnacowboy

Reaction score
I'm having a day now I'm getting missfire in cylinder's 4 and 7 so time to replace. So how hard are they to change? I know there prone to break off. And is there any easier way to changet cylinder 4?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have a 2005-2006 5.4L 3V expy, easiest way to reach the number 4 plug for me is to unbolt the PCM and its bracket, you don't have to unplug it just remove the 4 10mm screws holding it to the bracket, move it out of the way and secure it using zip ties or a shoelace, then unbolt the black bracket 3 either 10mm or 12mm screws and remove it. Also unplugging the coils and injectors to cylinder 2, 3 & 4 and moving the wiring harness out of the way and securing it with zip ties helps a lot too.

For cylinder 5-8 I remove the air intake, remove the harness like I did previously and secure it with zip ties, and I would also remove any vacuum hoses that comes between me and cylinder 8.

If the plugs haven't been changed for well over a 100k miles or they're the original ones then theres a 99% chance some will break, if they have been changed before, hopefully the last person used antiseize on the threads and used the updated plugs.

Would be a smart move to have this tool beside you incase any do decide to break.

20180603_074311.jpg

20180603_074346.jpg

OP
OP
C

cnacowboy

Reaction score
I replaced the spark plugs 4 and 7 and non broke, I put 1/2 can of sea foam in it and that fixed it but will replace the rest of the plugs soon

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good tip I've learned off of here is to put a few turns of electrical tape on your sockets and universal joints as added insurance when you're messing with those hard to reach plugs. I'd hate to have to mess around with a stuck socket if it came off in the no. 4 or 8 LOL.

BTW, thanks for following up with your original post. It's always nice to read threads that have some closure to them instead of all these cliff hangers you read online sometimes. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK