Module reflash/ reprogram- worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
2019 Expedition Platinum
FORScan v2.3.57 (Vlinker Connection device)

I have an issue with my rear tailgate- https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/rear-hatch-stuck.54974/
It won't open. I am told I need to re-program my RGTM module at the dealer from a former Ford tech of 30 years.

I have read about module reflashing through the Forscan program but you need the 2.4 version that is only available to paid subscribers. I am contemplating buying license and trying it but wonder if it would be worth it. I don't use Forscan much at all, this would be my primary motivation. It doesn't look like you can use the free 2 month license to do this because you need to be a paid subscriber to get the download. I have a dealer appointment on 9th, but wonder if I can just get it done.

Anybody done anything like this? I know this module is pretty small potatoes compared to some of the larger modules I wouldn't even hesitate to have a dealer manage.

FORScan module test results:
Code: B1453 - Tailgate/Liftgate/Boot/Trunk Latch Position Switch

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal Invalid

Module: Rear Gate/Trunk Module

Forscan 2.4 build link : https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23971
FMFU programming: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18751&sid=671d07687ba6824a4b91d5d2002d3618

Other clarifying links:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2019 Expedition Platinum
FORScan v2.3.57 (Vlinker Connection device)

I have an issue with my rear tailgate- https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/rear-hatch-stuck.54974/
It won't open. I am told I need to re-program my RGTM module at the dealer from a former Ford tech of 30 years.

I have read about module reflashing through the Forscan program but you need the 2.4 version that is only available to paid subscribers. I am contemplating buying license and trying it but wonder if it would be worth it. I don't use Forscan much at all, this would be my primary motivation. It doesn't look like you can use the free 2 month license to do this because you need to be a paid subscriber to get the download. I have a dealer appointment on 9th, but wonder if I can just get it done.

Anybody done anything like this? I know this module is pretty small potatoes compared to some of the larger modules I wouldn't even hesitate to have a dealer manage.

FORScan module test results:
Code: B1453 - Tailgate/Liftgate/Boot/Trunk Latch Position Switch

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal Invalid

Module: Rear Gate/Trunk Module

Forscan 2.4 build link : https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23971
FMFU programming: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18751&sid=671d07687ba6824a4b91d5d2002d3618

Other clarifying links:
Yes, I have used FORSCAN for flashing modules, and it is not for the half hearted or those inexperienced with FORSCAN.

That being said, based on your code above, you don't need a flash. The module has lost communication with the latch sensor. I have never had reason to look at how the module knows the rear is latched or not, but that is your issue. It most likely has a wiring issue, or has gone bad. I am away from our 2020 right now, and will be for the next week. If somebody else here, can look at theirs, or knows off the top of their head, that is what I would look at first. I think you have a physical issue, not a logical issue.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Thanks Loki, appreciate the help. I was hoping to not have to tear into the tailgate. Maybe I will just wait and let the dealer do it. My warranty should cover the faulty switch but probably not the software flash/update as it doesn't seem to clarify updating electronics and software as within the warranty or excluded. Software updates are clearly excluded. I was trying to find a diagram of the assembly but couldn't come up with anything that would help identify the latch sensor.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Dealer replaced the latch. $800 not covered by warranty. I never tried to do anything with FORScan. They did need to program the new latch and clear the dtcs they said for it to work properly. Before they reprogrammed it wouldn't raise with the motor, only manually.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer replaced the switch. $800 not covered by warranty. I never tried to do anything with FORScan. They did need to program the new latch and clear the dtcs they said for it to work properly. Before they reprogrammed it wouldn't raise with the motor, only manually.

Your vehicle is under warranty and the Ford dealer would not honor it?

Or did you have an extended service contract and Ford would not honor it? If so, was it a Ford contract or a third-party?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Third party CNA extended service contract. Sorry for any confusion .

I had some problems with my Ford dealer not wanting to cover repairs under the Ford Premium Extended Service Plan, which required me to contact the Ford ESP headquarters to get the matter resolved (not a module or rear hatch).

OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I had some problems with my Ford dealer not wanting to cover repairs under the Ford Premium Extended Service Plan, which required me to contact the Ford ESP headquarters to get the matter resolved (not a module or rear hatch).
I called the CNA folks but didn't get far. Talked with a lawyer friend who suggested trying again and elaborating that the sections are misleading. You can see in the attached document (excluded personal info), the preferred plus doesn't cover it but the SUV section does. The guy on the phone says that you have to purchase the higher tier to get the SUV coverage. When looking at it, they appear as unrelated sections and all parts would include what is listed below that and appears unnecessary. Very frustrating but I guess they are doing their job. I didn't purchase the higher tier.

Attachments

• Extracted expy warranty .pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani