Moose Lights/Off-Road Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lisa Hawn

Reaction score
Living up here in the interior of Alaska, where the winter months drag on and it is very dark, we use what we call "Moose-Lights"....lower 48 people call them "Off-road Lights." I have a 2020 Expedition Max Platinum on the way and am researching options to mount my Moose-Lights in the grill area. I am coming up with sensor issues and wanted to know what anyone else has done to mount lights...other than roof or drilling into the hood. If you have photos...please attach!

Any help is appreciated.....

Living the dream in Fort Greely, Alaska!

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
Lisa Hawn

Lisa Hawn

Reaction score
LGE-CTS make a custom grill insert light bar

https://www.lge-cts.com/shop/lighting/off-road-lighting-kits/front-bumper-light-bar-bracket/

Several members have a light bar behind the grill
30" light bar installed!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=20862&share_tid=41321&url=https://www.expeditionforum.com/index.php?threads/30"-light-bar-installed!.41321/&share_type=t&link_source=app

I have the SDHQ A-pillar brackets. No drilling required.
53443850e02c864dba3277a9e1a4b311.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 4 VisonX 6.7" lights.....With the amount of snow we receive, I cannot mount on hood or near windshield. They must be mounted in the front/grill/bumper area. Thank you for your input though...

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 4 VisonX 6.7" lights.....With the amount of snow we receive, I cannot mount on hood or near windshield. They must be mounted in the front/grill/bumper area. Thank you for your input though...

With that big of lights you will have to build a custom mount if you want to keep the sensors. Or new lights and use the behind the grill or LGE option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious why you can't mount them at the a pillar? Worried about knocking them when brushing snow off? The Flex lights are quite low profile...

20200618_115643-01.jpeg

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a Navi owner I'm super jealous of your bumper design. It's got a slit perfect for an LED bar. I'd hold the visionX for if you get a bumper later or roof rack... Too many decent cheap led bars out there now a days. Would be quieter, not dangling off the nose and would be protected from snow inside the bumper. Might get some build up if you are following somebody but that applies to lights out front too.

OP
OP
Lisa Hawn

Lisa Hawn

Reaction score
Curious why you can't mount them at the a pillar? Worried about knocking them when brushing snow off? The Flex lights are quite low profile...

View attachment 37621

I prefer not to mount at the pillar for a few reasons....Snow/Ice removal (Winters here are brutal with temps of -60 degrees Fahrenheit and high winds of up to 70 mph)...creating blind-spots increases chances of hitting a moose ( I am 5'4" with the driver's seat adjusted at its highest setting)....loosing the maximum distance the lights provide (front mount versus pillar mount minus the hood distance). I have a Yakima basket that I have used on my F-150 Platinum but using this would be a last option for me (decreased mpg, wind noise, blocks moonroof for viewing of Northern Lights).

I will probably end up going with a light bar installed in the front grill area or having a light-mounting bar fabricated for the front.

Plati

Reaction score

View attachment 37621
I (personally) wouldnt put anything in the way of viewing out the windshield.
You did ask.

I remember driving north out of Anchorage and there was a big sign that updated daily. I think it said something like "Watch for collisions with Moose, 458 Moose Collisions this year".

One thing about LED lights we found when we put them on our (Club) snowmobile trail groomer. They didnt melt the snow & ice like the old incandescent ones did!!

Is it possible to replace the FOG lights with mega lux Moose lights?

Last edited: