More MPGs needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ediddily

Reaction score
Can anyone give a list of options regarding upgrades for increased miles/gallon? Just got my 07 Expy and not really diggin the 15mpg

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
15 mpg on the highway, 15 around town or 15 in mixed driving? CAI, exhaust upgrade, and a programmer, but after all of that, only expect to see a gain of about 3-4 mpg. I can squeeze 18 mpg out of my 08 on the highway running 74 mph with all my upgrades in the signature below.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get 10, be happy! an expy isnt for mileage, if you have to have an expy, get custom tunes, e fans, gotts mod, better exhaust, possible headers, weight reduction, thats all I can think of

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
keep rpm under 2k to get best mpg. also as stated look for a programmer and use the gas saver mode

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
intake so engine breaths easier, less restrictive exhaust, and programmer... I'm in the 12s city and can get 14 on the highway with my 37s

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Headers, underdrive fully set, electric water pump, custom tune, throttle body 75mm, MAD high flow, electric fans and to an extreme ported intake and heads. Cat back exhaust is just a givin.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
will an aftermarket tb really do much on these trucks? obviously with everything else done it will. but if i were to just put a 75mm on one. it wouldnt do much would it?

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it would cause on the 5.4 they are starving for more air. On the 5.4 the TB is the limiter in that factor the intake itself does very well so when u up your TB you will notice. It doesn't work the same for every motor it just depends on what is the limiter. Some motors its the intake so adding a bigger TB WONT DO JACK. In our case it does a lot. I learned this from the MRE book how to build your 4.6 and 5.4. That's where I got all the info on building my 5.4. Its packed full of Dyno test and different mods. Also recommend changing the elbow as well. The book is 22 bucks and it great. Shows what kind of power can come out of these motors. There is a 4.6 in there with 1700 hp so there limitless. Hope this helps.