More Powerful Brakes From F250 or F350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boysurfer1997

Reaction score
I’ve got a 1997 5.4L with 35” tires and lots of other offroad stuff making this a very heavy vehicle. Has anybody put the braking system from a bigger truck made for towing heavy loads on here? I’m thinking if you had a brake booster and master cylinder from an F250/350 it would push the calipers a little harder and stop the vehicle faster.

Has anyone done this before?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d start with changing out the pads. Running ceramic pads will yield horrible cold bite and bad braking until you get some heat in them.

A good pad like Hawk LTS has great cold bite and good heat resistance.

OP
OP
B

boysurfer1997

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice ExplorerTom! I've already got semi-metallic pads on it and in my experience this has given me better bite than ceramic pads. At the moment I think I have a bad ABS pump so i was just curious about putting a stronger system in while im doing that job anyways.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expedition's master cylinder is the same inside bore as the F-250's at 27mm . The F-350 bumps the bore up to about 32mm. I don't think your problem is an undersized master cylinder.

houlster

Reaction score
Could always do a hydroboost swap. Someday I'll get mine done...