More than one Throttle Body spacer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuctionExp

Reaction score
Crazy thought here. If one TB spacer is good, why not two? I've got a '97 so I should have room. Has anyone tried this before?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crazy thought here. If one TB spacer is good, why not two? I've got a '97 so I should have room. Has anyone tried this before?

Did you notice any change with the spacer? Personally I have heard they are snake oil aside from changing the intake sound a bit.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Who said that one was good?

I don't know anyone who actually noticed a difference after installing one.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who said that one was good?

I don't know anyone who actually noticed a difference after installing one.

Agreed.
In the old days of naturally aspirated engines, adding a carb spacer could gain you performance and horsepower. All that due to giving the fuel more time to ionize with the air. Remember, liquid gasoline does not burn, the vapors do.
But with a multiport fuel injected engine, the fuel is injected straight into the cylinders. All the throttle body does is control air. How could a spacer make more power????

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Agreed.
In the old days with carburetor engines, adding a carb spacer may gain you performance and horsepower. The idea was give the fuel more time to ionize with the air. Remember, liquid gasoline does not burn, the vapors do. But with a multiport fuel injected engine, the fuel is injected straight into the intake ports just ahead of the intake valve. All the throttle body does is control air entering the plenum. How could a spacer make more power????

I tweaked it a bit... lol

But I completely agree with this and the others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AuctionExp

AuctionExp

Reaction score
Good points yudaman and toms. I've guess I've been reading too much of the manufacturer propaganda on the web.

I picked up a used BBK Throttle body, and the previous owner included a throttle body spacer with the TB.

I was taking a look at it, and the ones that are sold online and I was thinking that it would be pretty easy to bolt a couple on together, which would make the plenum larger which would give me...

more horsepower?

even better gas mileage?

A higher pitched whistling sound?

Then I was thinking that somebody here probably already tried it. Not being able to find this in the search I decided to throw up a quick post to check the temperature on this.

Since it came with one, I'll bolt it on and see what happens.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
That aftermarket throttle body may need the spacer as an adapter. Is it bigger than stock?

G-Force

Reaction score
A larger throttle body will provide better performance as it will increase the amount of air going into the motor. I see limited benefit of a spacer as Yudaman indicated above. For my Shelby, I went to a larger twin blade setup with a larger intake tube and did the swap on a dyno, and we saw a 50 rwhp increase without a new tune. Don't buy the snake oil ;)