MPG Computer Accuracy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoa.

Where I live the state weight & measurement dept. TWICE yearly checks each and every fuel dispensers.

There are 231 cubic inches of liquid in a gallon.

With a 5 gallon test can, plus or minus 6 cubic inches of fuel is the allowable variance.

6 cubic inches is equal to roughly 6 tablespoons or 0.03 gallon.

Over or under the 6 in^3 the station has 24 hours to repair. Pumps that exceed +/- 19 are locked down immediately.

While Federal measurements are mandated, didn't we just have a discussion about personal experience dispelling myths? Measure for yourself at various pumps because my friend, you will find the truth yourself or you may choose to continue not to, your choice.

jeff

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WIN?????? lol. So you saved 3 gallons of gas a year and now you need a $500 starter replaced in a few years and your $200 battery replaced every 3 years. Great savings plan! lol

You know “/s” means sarcasm....right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know “/s” means sarcasm....right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't know that either but I'm glad you told us. I was going to have to start not liking you but now I feel much better about your screen name. I'm thin-skinned like that. Lol - lol is about as current as I did in text speak. Occasionally I do throw in an IRC because that is a lot to type out.
It seems my LOLs are outdated and fuddy-duddy if you use them but I will keep on being a stick-in-the-mud.
It's all so confusing sometimes... We have abbreviations, text speak and then you have certain forums or message board abbreviations manly for relatives and family members that really make no sense. They throw a dear in front of everything in the abbreviation.
I am not my wife's dear husband, I am her husband. But they abbreviate everything under the sun with a dear in front of it.
A waste and totally dumb in my book but mainly highly annoying.
Wait! Was that little squiggly s supposed to be written out or was supposed to be converted to a symbol emoticon but my phone just doesn't do that. Oops they call the Emojis, you know emoticons/ emojis I don't know what's going on.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But back to MPG counters they are accurate as hell. Foot goes down, number goes down.
Yeah baby!

Idling will eat up your mileage. I have had tested it both ways and in a tank of fuel you can lose 2-3 miles per gallon if you idle with the air on fit extended periods of time like 10 to 15 minutes fairly often.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you drive an Expedition, fuel mileage should not be a worry. I don't think most of us bought them because they are economical with fuel....If you have an Ecoboost, run premium all the time and get the most performance out of it...that is why you bought it.

walshine

Reaction score
Shutterbug57, I drive a '15 limited with about 42k miles and ever since it was new the computer mpg has consistently been approx 1.4 to 1.6 mpg higher than when I hand calculate it.
I too don't understand why this is, or how they calculate mpg. Must use some kind of "new" math other than how many miles traveled divided by how many gallons it took to drive those miles.