Muffler Replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecaps

Reaction score
All,

Specs: 1999 XLT 4.6L 4x4

I just bought this thing and have been fixing a few of the minor things wrong with it. Most recently the muffler is shot and I have question, as I despise doing exhaust work.

It has the original exhuast work with all parts welded together. I went and got a new tail pipe & muffler (Walker SoundFX) direct replacement. On the input side, where the intermediate pipe goes into the muffler is there any rease I couldn't cut that just past the flange and put in a small piece of pipe from there into the muffler?

I would guess a 2.5" id outlet to go into the muffler and a 2.5" outlet to connect before the bend of the intermediate pipe.

I thought about a new intermediate pipe, but 1) will is release from the catalytic convert output or is it welded. &2) It's almost $45 whereas a small adapter is like $4

Thx

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All,

Specs: 1999 XLT 4.6L 4x4

I just bought this thing and have been fixing a few of the minor things wrong with it. Most recently the muffler is shot and I have question, as I despise doing exhaust work.

It has the original exhuast work with all parts welded together. I went and got a new tail pipe & muffler (Walker SoundFX) direct replacement. On the input side, where the intermediate pipe goes into the muffler is there any rease I couldn't cut that just past the flange and put in a small piece of pipe from there into the muffler?

I would guess a 2.5" id outlet to go into the muffler and a 2.5" outlet to connect before the bend of the intermediate pipe.

I thought about a new intermediate pipe, but 1) will is release from the catalytic convert output or is it welded. &2) It's almost $45 whereas a small adapter is like $4

Thx

If it's a direct fit it should tell you where to cut the pipe and give you all the necessary clamps to install the new muffler.

OP
OP
E

ecaps

Reaction score
If it's a direct fit it should tell you where to cut the pipe and give you all the necessary clamps to install the new muffler.

Well evidently direct fit is loosely used. The hangers and (in/out) offsets are in the correct place, but the muffler is approximately 2" shorter. I looked at intermediate pipe, but can't tell how it's exactly connected.

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well evidently direct fit is loosely used. The hangers and (in/out) offsets are in the correct place, but the muffler is approximately 2" shorter. I looked at intermediate pipe, but can't tell how it's exactly connected.

Wow, usually Walker is good with stuff like that.

Why not just get a new muffler and tailpipe welded in from a local exhaust shop and not even worry about it?

Theoretically you could just weld in a piece of pipe to make up the difference. As long as it's the same size and good welds you should be fine.

OP
OP
E

ecaps

Reaction score
Well, if anyone is interested.

I cut as close as I could to the "in" side of the muffler and put a piece of small 2.5" connector pipe in without removing the "intermediate pipe" that connects just behind the cats.