Muffler on its way out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not likely to plug up. The exhaust flow with continue to push all that junk out......

loulblades

Reaction score
My muffler just yacked up a hairball this weekend. Thought it might have been a rat building a nest, kept the pellet gun close by just in case. As packed in as it was I am not sure how it even ran (worse than a banana in the tailpipe :cool:). About a month ago I did notice performance degrading somewhat when pulling my trailer and had the dealer check it out when it was in for inspection, but to no avail.
After pulling all that out I would expect the truck to be somewhat louder but it doesn't appear to be so what was the point of it.
I notice some people refer to the canister near tailpipe as a resonator but according to Ford's parts list, that is a rear muffler. Don't think I have had resonators since my '66 GTO.

MufflerHairResized.jpg

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres so many sound deadening devices on these exhaust systems, that little bit of packing probably own't even make a noise difference. There are 2 turbos, 2 pre cats, 2 cats, a HUGE muffler, and a resonator. I wouldn't worry a bit about it. The mufflers usually are like 3 wraps and 3 layers thick. It probably rusted one layer away internally and blew out that packing. It'll probably take another 100K to rust out layer 2.......