Multiple misfire after fill up - coincidence?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Here's a dealer horror story I'll throw in. A friend of mine took his '12 Expy to the dealer because it would not crank over. The dealer told him engine was seized and quoted to replace it. He had it towed to an independent shop who found bad wiring harness behind the engine.....
in Nys you can file a complaint and the dealer will be fined and (I think) you get part of the fine

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, put this in your conspiracy theory file.

Ever since the OP posted a photo of his broken spring and other commenters started posting links to tools and such, I have been bombarded with ads for valve springs, valve tools, valves, cam shafts, etc.

Even on Amazon, I'm getting suggestions for tools and parts to help with my valve job.

How soon before Tom Cruise crashes through my ceiling and unleashes an android spider upon me........

Oh definitely

I used my hypochondriac mother's wifi with ONE android device logged into my google account, now I keep getting ads for her imagined illnesses... on ALL android devices

Even ones that never touched her wifi

Freaking data miners....

PS some of this big pharma **** is seriously freaky... I get video ads for medications that openly ADMIT that one of their side effects is giving you CANCER

Plati

Reaction score
Oh definitely

I used my hypochondriac mother's wifi with ONE android device logged into my google account, now I keep getting ads for her imagined illnesses... on ALL android devices

Even ones that never touched her wifi

Freaking data miners....

PS some of this big pharma **** is seriously freaky... I get video ads for medications that openly ADMIT that one of their side effects is giving you CANCER
I'm ok with ads. The thing I've noticed past few months is constant notifications coming from Google maps. Just all the more motivation to get a standalone GPS navigation device.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm ok with ads. The thing I've noticed past few months is constant notifications coming from Google maps. Just all the more motivation to get a standalone GPS navigation device.

This is not ads.

This is targeted ads based on them spying, and not on your device, but on those around you

So next time you get an ad for STD treatment or drug rehab or cancer hospice or something, have fun trying to figure out if that's an aberration or someone in your household is royally screwed and keeping it secret lol

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Well, here it is...the final update. The shop told me the cam sprocket skipped some teeth which is likely the reason the spring broke. Although, I'm kind of surprised only one broke if that is the case?? Anyway, this probably explains the vacuum on the compression test the other shop got. The scoped it and also saw that the valve did ultimately get bent. So, after a lot of thinking and comparisons, I decided to have them put a new motor it it. Worst case scenario, it will cost me about $8200, best case will be $7800 if the swap doesn't require any surprise parts. This gives me a brand new long block that is updated with the "better" and "heavy duty" parts supposedly much better than they came off the assembly line. 7 year, unlimited mileage warranty on parts and labor (labor is paid at $100/hr).

I ultimately decided to go this route because, while I could find similar expeditions for under $8000, I don't know what I'm buying with them. With this, I've got a brand new engine, trans only has 60k, and new struts, control arms, bearing, 4wd actuators, new tires, etc that I've all done myself. I also figure trying to sell one with a dead motor would have been a nightmare. Selling with a new motor (should I decide to do so soon) would probably be MUCH easier and I could probably at least break even

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have had to just replace that head. I don't think I will ever put a new or reman engine in anything. I'm just one of those take my chances with a good running used one kind of guys. I don't do repairs that expensive. But it will be nice when you finally get it back on the road for you.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem here is no shop that's paying high rent, or for that matter owns the building, would take a chance on pulling apart a blown valve motor, and just swap in a head or 2. You and I would chance it, but we have 0 to lose if it fails. But a shops gotta look at their profits at all times. A rebuilt or new motor is the way to secure that. It's a no brainier. Although $8,000 is a bit much for a motor and labor in my book, but as long as our op is happy, and can afford it, that's what matters. Kinda thought this one one was gonna go this direction.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But you cash to get a used engine for 900-1300 and have it installed for 700-1500. That about covers the spread from private guys to garages.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You and I would do that, but like I said shops won't mess with used motors. It's all about getting the job done with a warranty to cover their butt. In shops I worked, we never installed used anything. The only exception would be an old vehicle that was a special circumstance, like a friend of the managers. Even then, we'd have the customer sign a no warranty on the receipt. It's just how repair is done. Sadly theirs no Wally's garage like in Andy Griffith show. Those days are long gone. Blame it on the lawyers!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk