Multiple misfire after fill up - coincidence?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My teacher in Automotive school said, never tell a customer they need an engine, when all they need is a carburetor! Word's to live by. Could you imagine that dealer putting in that engine, and then calling and saying, we got a little problem!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Holy crap. I just spent the last 4 hours trying to get that stupid spring in place. I thought this was the tool to do it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXT6QXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But it appears this is to be used when the spring is already in place and you are just swapping the rockers.
Is this possible to do with the head still on? I could not find a way to get one of those universal spring compressors to work. Anyone done this that can point me to the right way to get it done?

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy crap. I just spent the last 4 hours trying to get that stupid spring in place. I thought this was the tool to do it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXT6QXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But it appears this is to be used when the spring is already in place and you are just swapping the rockers.
Is this possible to do with the head still on? I could not find a way to get one of those universal spring compressors to work. Anyone done this that can point me to the right way to get it done?

Is this what you need?

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Modular-Valve-Spring-Compressor/dp/B01A005JEG

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
That's actually for a 4v, but they make them for a 3v. The problem is I'm pretty sure you have to remove the cam to use it. To remove the cam, I'll also need to by the tool to keep tension on the timing chain

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a dealer horror story I'll throw in. A friend of mine took his '12 Expy to the dealer because it would not crank over. The dealer told him engine was seized and quoted to replace it. He had it towed to an independent shop who found bad wiring harness behind the engine.....
And yet people continue to take things to dealers and pay the even higher ridiculous prices for a sense of security. I know people like me bust peoples' bubbles and mess up their perfect world were they think if they're able to or willing to pay top dollar they will get good or the best service.... That simply is not always the case.
And I hate to break it to the other people who have found what they consider a good mechanic. I always hate to hear someone use the Expression my mechanic. I have worked on a lot of people's cars for many years and I've told them all please never refer to me as your mechanic. That usually means that you have someone who you been going to for years ago at some point in time started ripping you off and you trust them so much you will do whatever they tell you because of the early relationship built.
Even the great deal good ones don't always stay that way for the Long Haul. As a matter of fact a slightly greater percentage of them go south than remaining good, good value mechanics.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's actually for a 4v, but they make them for a 3v. The problem is I'm pretty sure you have to remove the cam to use it. To remove the cam, I'll also need to by the tool to keep tension on the timing chain
I haven't done a 3 valve as I keep hammering that I'm staying away from them but I would hate to have to remove the cam to do a valve spring. All the modular forwards I have done you can get to. If all else fails I use a medium to large-sized pair of needle-nose vice grips Adjusted so they're loose on the valve stem. You put the retainer in the spring on and push it down by hand or the palm of your hand enough to put the keepers in.

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
I haven't done a 3 valve as I keep hammering that I'm staying away from them but I would hate to have to remove the cam to do a valve spring. All the modular forwards I have done you can get to. If all else fails I use a medium to large-sized pair of needle-nose vice grips Adjusted so they're loose on the valve stem. You put the retainer in the spring on and push it down by hand or the palm of your hand enough to put the keepers in.
Hrmm....I'll see if I can manage that. The problem is the amount of clearance (or lack thereof) around the spring once I get it over the valve stem. The spring is practically down in a tunnel. I'll give it a whirl

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hrmm....I'll see if I can manage that. The problem is the amount of clearance (or lack thereof) around the spring once I get it over the valve stem. The spring is practically down in a tunnel. I'll give it a whirl

If all else fails maybe compress the spring in one spot on each side or so and lock it down with baling wire or even a CV joint boot band.
Does it sit so far down in a hole that you couldn't get in there to snip or untwist the baling wire? As I said I'm not been into a 3 valve but I have done the two valves and I have seen the 4 valve dohc is. There is a lot less room and a lot more going on in the 4 valve dohc.
Just thinking that if you could put it in a vise after putting some baling wire or a strap on each side and tighten it to its compressed position and lock it in place with the bailing wire, you would have a lot easier time getting a retainer and the keepers in. All you would have to do is push it up to the top to hold them in place and maybe slide a rag or something underneath to hold it while you grab your pliers to cut her untwisted bailing wire.

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I was thinking about trying something like that, but was worried about the strength of the bailing wire. Like you said, maybe if I can even just get part of the spring compressed, it might be enough.

Robert Lee

Reaction score
Got any kids that play soccer? Perfect vehicle for it! Bright side, as long as you don't overheat it, Honda's are like the Energizer Bunny. Pretty hard to kill em.

Sure is nice to have a truck though.....especially in Florida for Hurricane evacuations, minimum specifications being able to pull a boat, hop a six inch curb, and forge through at least a one foot deep puddle!