Multiple misfires even after replacing a few things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bggunnz2016

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help with intermittent misfire ghosts in my system..... Had multiple misfires and then also cylinder 2 misfires before the replacements as well
2013 Expedition EL Limited, 172k miles, All new Duralast Coil packs, all new Champion plugs, left and right camshaft position sensors, 2 new VCT solenoids (Had the local mechanic Scan it and they thought VCT so I changed them both). Mechanic supposedly checked fuel trim, compression and said everything looked good.

I get the misfires when I have been in stop and go traffic at an idle. Doesn't seem to misfire at higher speeds.. and the misfires aren't consistent so in my mind, I would think that it isn't a mechanical timing issue otherwise it would be all the time, right?

Ugghh... ANY Help would be appreciated

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Welcome. It sounds like you have a mechanic who is throwing parts at a problem he can't diagnose.

Are your current misfires still in cylinder 2? Something may be breaking down when it gets hot. This is common with coils. Why would you replace eight OEM coils with Chinese replacements? It wasn't wise to replace all the coils as you introduce the potential for other problems.

At this point you should determine where the miss is occurring. A good mechanic with good equipment can do this. Hopefully it's a single cylinder and you can move that plug and coil elsewhere, see if the problem follows it and then replace the offending parts.

It's always possible that the problem lies elsewhere, like the valve train, head gasket or injectors. Good diagnostics should enable you to narrow that down. Stop replacing thing blindly. With the poor quality of some new parts, you risk introducing new problems before the original trouble is found.

Good luck with your search. We've all been there.

OP
OP
B

bggunnz2016

Reaction score
As with my 99 Expedition, whenever there was a misfire, it was usually a coil pack, maybe a plug. I NEVER had any issues with the duralast gold coil packs

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
whenever there was a misfire, it was usually a coil pack, maybe a plug. I NEVER had any issues with the duralast gold coil packs
I'll be nice and say the problem with lots of cheap auto parts from far away places is a lack of consistency. Some are great, some aren't. They can have you chasing your tail and really wasting your time, which is exactly what you are doing now. That's why there's a market for coils that cost 10 times the price of the Chinese ones.

You asked, and I gave my opinion. You're welcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bggunnz2016

Reaction score
Just saying that if I wanted an opinion on cheap parts or expensive parts, your answer would be right on the money. What I am looking for are some thoughts from someone who has some actual experience similar to what I am experiencing especially since the original ford parts were also present with the same symptoms.

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the misfires still on #2?
Does it throw codes when it misfires?
Try sitting at idle and wiggle the coil packs harness to see if you can reproduce the misfire.

OP
OP
B

bggunnz2016

Reaction score
Yes sir.. Still on #2 as well as multiple.. I will try that.. Also, it occurs more on idle in gear than in park at idle..... I will update after that. Thanks YD

OP
OP
B

bggunnz2016

Reaction score
Hey YD, I am also getting
P0025 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2) . I have replaced both VTC's as well.. I read that in certain circumstances, the misfire profile correction needs to be factory reset and it can be done with a snap-on scanner

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey YD, I am also getting
P0025 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2) . I have replaced both VTC's as well.. I read that in certain circumstances, the misfire profile correction needs to be factory reset and it can be done with a snap-on scanner
I have not heard of a scanner needed to reset a misfire.

Have you heard of FORScan?
Check this out,
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/forscan-tweaks-2015.32082/

Anything a snap-on scanner can do FORScan can do plus a whole lot more.
It will give you a lot more info about what is going on.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes sir.. Still on #2 as well as multiple.. I will try that.. Also, it occurs more on idle in gear than in park at idle..... I will update after that. Thanks YD
After that switch #2 coil pack with another cylinder and see if the misfire moves.
If misfire doesn't move, remove #2 sparkplug and inspect (could be as little as a hairline crack in porcelain) then switch with another cylinder and see if misfire moves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpember1990