Munkie's Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to use this thread for the stuff I've done & going to do to my 2016 Expedition El Limited 4x4. I will add pictures when I have the availability.

This list will be edited to show completed vs in progress vs wants. I will also include the links to the items as I get the details.

Completed:
Iron Bull Shredder front winch bumper with Rigid drive/flood light combo x4
Air horns in spare tire well
On board air compressor
Readylift 3"/2" leveling kit
RCI engine & transmission skid plates. I get the exhaust hitting the plate on the left side. Need to check motor and transmission mounts.
LED lights upgraded to all interior lights.
Upgraded exterior lights to LED except for low&high beam
Upgraded low beam projectors to the high output bulbs (the cheap stuff worked but now I want better. I will not recommend the kit just yet)

In progress:
Removal of passenger side 3rd row seat
Install some sort of compartment in place of the seat for flat floor
Custom cabinet drawer with sliding floor on passenger side cargo area (keep 7 seats available)

Wants:
In the 3rd row compartment house a battery or two w/controller hardware & quick connect for solar panel chargers
200-300w solar
Roof rack (Via @ExplorerTom) https://www.equipt1.com/collections/eezi-awn/products/k9-roof-rack-platform
Roof rack hard shell tent maybe https://offroadtents.com/products/f...2cFxl3gBcUaAtsSEALw_wcB&variant=9296990470201
Fridge/freezer
Removable Red/blue flashers (this is going to be the 2nd movie car)
Bed liner the exterior in FDE, safety orange or something.
True rock sliders w/removable steps (maybe these 90" http://www.chassisunlimited.com/product/armor-bumpers/rock-sliders/rock-slider-kit-sqaure.html via @Black )
upgraded shocks & Upper control arms
Metal rear bumper with swing outs (fully willing to remove the power option for my liftgate)

Last edited:

AirborneJordan

Reaction score
Your expedition is looking really good. I will be looking fwd to seeing some pictures.
I have similar ideas for my rig as well.
I LOVE train horns. I need to get a set on my truck. [emoji106] when you get some time can you show off your set up?

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Munkiebunz3

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your local laws. Train horns are usually illegal but truck air horns aren't. I'll get around to it one day. Probably will take photos this weekend.
I'd recommend building your own set if you can find a 5 gallon pancake with extra ports & mount it in place of the spare. None of the air horn compressors I found are good for tanks larger than 3 gallons & the ones rated for continuous duty are expensive. If I figured it out correctly, More ports allow for upgrades to other things such as air lockers & faster times for airing back up.

Looks like I can't edit the OP.
More wants:
Locking differentials f/r
Change gearing to 4.10 or 4.56.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your local laws. Train horns are usually illegal but truck air horns aren't. I'll get around to it one day. Probably will take photos this weekend.
I'd recommend building your own set if you can find a 5 gallon pancake with extra ports & mount it in place of the spare. None of the air horn compressors I found are good for tanks larger than 3 gallons & the ones rated for continuous duty are expensive. If I figured it out correctly, More ports allow for upgrades to other things such as air lockers & faster times for airing back up.

Looks like I can't edit the OP.
More wants:
Locking differentials f/r
Change gearing to 4.10 or 4.56.
I’m a big fan of your truck and your future plans for it.
Just wondering why you were thinking about going to lower gearing?

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of your truck and your future plans for it.
Just wondering why you were thinking about going to lower gearing?
I'm sure it's because of his bigger tires. Bigger tires make lower gearing necessary a lot of times. If he's going with air lockers, might as well. 4.56 is a pretty low gear for 35s though.

OP
OP
Munkiebunz3

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You got it. I don't do a lot of highway driving over 45mph (Thank you Los Angeles). I'm leaning more heavily to the 4.10 but only after I expire my 5yr/120k mile warranty. I'm also wondering if I can get a different grille now that the current bumper I have doesn't have spots for my grille to mount to. Well, It does but they don't match up. That's another thing I'll have to take a picture of.
Again, most of the time I plan on running the new stock 275/55r20 a/t tires so going 4.56 is way too much. I also only drive about 5k miles/yr so those original tires won't be running out on me anytime soon and I'm not too keen on spending more money just to get 275/60r20 tires when that $1k can go elsewhere like a new gun or solar equipment.

@AllBoostNoEco Thanks! I too am a fan of the tasteful mods you've done to yours. Which reminds me.

Wants:
Paint over all that interior chrome that puts the sun directly into my eyes.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
You got it. I don't do a lot of highway driving over 45mph (Thank you Los Angeles). I'm leaning more heavily to the 4.10 but only after I expire my 5yr/120k mile warranty. I'm also wondering if I can get a different grille now that the current bumper I have doesn't have spots for my grille to mount to. Well, It does but they don't match up. That's another thing I'll have to take a picture of.
Again, most of the time I plan on running the new stock 275/55r20 a/t tires so going 4.56 is way too much. I also only drive about 5k miles/yr so those original tires won't be running out on me anytime soon and I'm not too keen on spending more money just to get 275/60r20 tires when that $1k can go elsewhere like a new gun or solar equipment.

@AllBoostNoEco Thanks! I too am a fan of the tasteful mods you've done to yours. Which reminds me.

Wants:
Paint over all that interior chrome that puts the sun directly into my eyes.
Let me know how it goes with the grill. I have a thread going about it. Here's where I am with mine. It's just set in place. The grill is an 07-14 obviously and my Ex is a 17. I think I'm going to need to modify it slightly though.
Don't forget. We're picture ******! Didn't happen if you didn't take a pic lol

44840159985_be0f0b69e7_z.jpg

OP
OP
Munkiebunz3

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it my imagination or is the grill not vertical?
One thing that I need to mention is that my shredder opinion for the bumper makes headlamp removal impossible.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Is it my imagination or is the grill not vertical?
One thing that I need to mention is that my shredder opinion for the bumper makes headlamp removal impossible.
It's just laying in there right now. Even the bumper just has two bolts holding it up. It doesn't look like the bumper I got is going to be in the way of anything luckily. I don't know how the parking sensors mount though. There's just holes drilled in the bumper where they mount.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering if it was an off-road issue, i.e., easier manipulation of the throttle. I can’t imagine having 4.56s, even with 4.10s I would struggle with spinning the tires everywhere I went. Even with my 35s, I have constant TC light flickering while I’m driving. Lol