My first 10R80 glitch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
So last night we were headed out to dinner and went ahead and threw it in sport mode being I prefer that feel.

I immediately felt something was "off". When shifting up and when around 4th gear I detected an unrecognized clunk feel through the pedal. It would do 4-5 clunks as if it was struggling to engage a gear and the cluster showed same gear until the clunk went away and advanced the ratio. I was able to replicate the feeling after every red light. This was with very light throttle input and the fluids were all at temp so there was zero chance of a gear slipping causing this. Yet would be more described as what's known as a gear hunt.

Got to first destination which was gas station turned it off, filled it up, turned back on and all went away even with putting it back to sport mode.

This is the nature of an adaptive trans. As I've said numerous times, adaptive learning transmissions are the most unreliable POS gearboxes ever and can't be trusted. The memories aren't reliable, and a single out of spec CVI can be just a key cycle away from a trans being replaced.

I digress.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My original Edge module on my 06 F350 had the option to turn off the learn mode in the 5R110 transmission. The only recommendation was to turn the learn mode on occasionally to compensate for wear. It would be nice to be able to do that with these.

OP
OP
Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
The interesting thing is the TCM should have what' known as a quicklearn function which is a process where it expedites the learning sequence following a reflash.

It's ******** Ford isn't having their techs do this being the most dangerous thing to do on an adaptive memory transmission is to just flash it and send back in to normal use.

OP
OP
Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
My original Edge module on my 06 F350 had the option to turn off the learn mode in the 5R110 transmission. The only recommendation was to turn the learn mode on occasionally to compensate for wear. It would be nice to be able to do that with these.

The 5R110 was a fantastic transmission, and the issues seen out of them were far less this early on in use.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anytime the PCM loses power, like during a reflash or a battery swap where backup power is not applied, the system defaults to a baseline setting and adapts from there. The baseline settings are probably fairly close to ideal for the majority of drivers, with the fine tuning to compensate for those that baby or leadfoot. The initial learning is fairly quick with the fine tuning taking more time. The reflash is probably easier on the transmission than having two drivers with completely different driving styles share the vehicle. What I wonder is if the system has to learn a separate strategy in every driving mode. In the 5R110 in my truck, anytime I change the power setting on the module or even when I tow the fifth-wheel, I will pull the PCM keep alive fuse and let the transmission relearn. It adapts faster that way without all the ugly behavior.

OP
OP
Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Anytime the PCM loses power, like during a reflash or a battery swap where backup power is not applied, the system defaults to a baseline setting and adapts from there. The baseline settings are probably fairly close to ideal for the majority of drivers, with the fine tuning to compensate for those that baby or leadfoot. The initial learning is fairly quick with the fine tuning taking more time. The reflash is probably easier on the transmission than having two drivers with completely different driving styles share the vehicle. What I wonder is if the system has to learn a separate strategy in every driving mode. In the 5R110 in my truck, anytime I change the power setting on the module or even when I tow the fifth-wheel, I will pull the PCM keep alive fuse and let the transmission relearn. It adapts faster that way without all the ugly behavior.

From the tuners I've talked with, the learning is 250 miles following flash on average

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife’s Jeep GC has this same issue. Learning transmissions suck.

They’ve been learning transmissions since 2007 on the expy with the intro of the 6 speed if I’m not mistaken. 6R80 has been a solid trans. Problem is they are cramming too many gears into the same space and parts are getting thinner and smaller.