My first Ford Expedition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjennjr

Reaction score
I have a '98 Expedition 2WD 5.4L with 160k miles, have had it for 20 years, still going strong! A/C compressor bad, but will replace in the spring. And no oil leaks
so far!! Quality and endurance for these first generation large SUVs!

JaylanS04

Reaction score
Soldering would not be the issue with me. It's taking the dash apart to get to the bad connection. Forget about it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I’ve actually done it multiple times for similar reasons. The first time it is very taunting, but once you take it out and put it back together you have it pretty well memorized for next time.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Watching the video had me envisioning a struggling, 6 hour project just to get the dash off- OR getting the dash out without much problem then taking 6 hours to get in back in. I would need to set aside a full day for the project given my low confidence level over it. Pretty apparent that I am not mechanically inclined. [emoji37]

Half a day project at most for first time. 45 minute project any time after that. that is going slow.
If you know how to solder than you can do this project with no problem.

Once you remove the Lego pieces (pieces that just pop off) you can see the screws you need to remove the rest. i just do the bezzle work my way in and pull out that way. you do have to pull out the door side of the instrument cluster a little and reach behind to unplug but once again very easy.

I do lower the steering column to lowest setting and take the shifter down to 1st gear and it comes right out.

The hardest part of this job that I would not recommend to a beginner is the actual soldering.

I felt the same way as you, i got in there and pulled the Lego pieces and 30 minutes later i pulled the cluster out of the dash.

If you just start you wont let yourself go passed your skill level and before you know it you are holding the instrument cluster in your hand.

OP
OP
R

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
i have made a working 20 watt amplifier in highschool shop, (including drawing and etching PCB with ferric chloride) so the soldering i am confident i can do.

it's the twenty plus screws/various panels mentioned that is making me rethink the wisdom of doing it for now.

OP
OP
R

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
The interior is in pretty good shape as well I think.

Previous owner included fabric seat covers which was a bit of a chore to put on (the pinhole headrest removal procedure wasn't in the owner's manual and stumped us for a bit) but now it really feels like being in a legend of the 90's era machine.

It is comfortable and my filigree siberian weasel seems to agree.
20201224_105943.jpg

backnine29

Reaction score
The interior is in pretty good shape as well I think.

Previous owner included fabric seat covers which was a bit of a chore to put on (the pinhole headrest removal procedure wasn't in the owner's manual and stumped us for a bit) but now it really feels like being in a legend of the 90's era machine.

It is comfortable and my filigree siberian weasel seems to agree.
View attachment 39477
Good photo!

slaterny

Reaction score
Found a good deal on a well preserved 1999 XLT with the 4.6L V8.

Had about 80,000 miles on it when it was delivered.

Everything, save for the tires, is factory stock and most of the doodads work. Found a few minor issues like electric side mirrors refusing to tilt down and right, sometimes the odometer blanks out, and the parking brake indicator sometimes doesn't light up.

Shifts smooth. Awd, 4H, and 4L works well. The cruise control works. Appears to be mechanically sound. Fuel consumption well within declared values.

Previous owner took good care of it and used only factory spec fluids and parts.

It's very comfortable and the heft gives a sense of safety and security.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can about it and keeping it in tip top shape.View attachment 39424

Dude congrats!
My first Expedition was a 1997 Eddie Bauer, bought in 2000, and loved it until Durango ran a light and plowed into the side of it, with my three little kids in it. It hit right into the door my son was in, and it held up like a tank, although it sacrificed its frame (got bent and ended up getting totaled!) I swore on that day I would ALWAYS own an Expedition, so I took the insurance check and invested in a four year old Expy EB (2004). I have owned it since 2008, it has about 166k on it, and will own it until the rust finally takes it from me :)

jimbosidecar

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 Expedition one year ago. It had been sitting outdoors for quite some time being undriveable. I brought over a set of new brakes (rotors,calipers and pads) and a new battery and was able to drive it home after a couple hours work. Later on I replaced all 4 shocks, the driver side front axle (from Pic-A-Part) and the lower front driver's side A Arm. I now have put about 15,000 miles on it and I like it. It now has 207,000 miles on it. I can see there may be a tranny rebuild in my future as it slips out of OD way to easily. But it shifts nice and crisply in the other gears. Little disappointed in the fuel mileage at 13-14 mpg, but it is a heavy truck.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still own mine which is a 2000 EB 5.4 AWD With almost 300,000 miles which I have owned for over 20 years. It still runs great!! This is the best generation truck Ford ever built. I’ve recently lifted mine 5” and replaced almost all components underneath. If I find another one in pristine condition like mine I will definitely buy it. This is a project truck worth keeping.