My X build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
since i dont have a money tree i just brainstormed how to get the X ive always wanted. :rockit:

1. im still deciding on tires. i want an A/T tire probably 285/70/17 that is aggresive but halfway decent on the road. its a daily driver but a weekend warrior.lol. been lookin at cooper atp's. i still have at least 20k left on my stockers so i decided im going to buy 1 tire a month since i cant do $1k all at once.

2. gonna do the ebay 3/2 lift kit and once i have all 4 tires im gonna install the lift then throw the tires on the same weekend. and get an alignment soon after.

3. gonna plastidip rims, grill, and whatever else i feel needs it now just to do something to it while waiting for tires and touch up when tires are installed.

4. and finally gonna build my own roof rack to keep me busy while waiting on tires. i was surfing youtube and came across a "genius" that made one out of 1" EMT and 3/4" EMT! any electrician out there knows how strong that stuff is especially braced every 6 to 10 inches. i did the math and to build a rack 72"LX45"WX6"T the material is only $60 at Lowes! and that's getting an extra stick of each!! gonna weld it all together and spray it with bedliner.

5. add lights to rack when done.

so questions i have....

can anyone recomend an A/T tire that is less than $250 and get decent miles out of them?

Any downsides to the ebay lift? i honestly cant see a difference other than paying for a name.

anything else i can plastidip?

what is the weight rating for the stock roof rack? (so i can figure out how to mount it)

so far thats it but i have that sickness that i cant leave well enough alone. its a blessing and a curse.haha
any questions, comments, and ideas are welcome, thanx.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running Cooper Zeon LTZ - nice aggressive tread, I have them in 275/60/20. I don't think they make them in 17" but you might try Tire Rack. I know I have seen decent SUV/Light truck tires for around $150 each in that size.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im running the warden A/T since 2-12. So far no problems and the were $600 shipped to LA. I've been mudding in them and only got stuck once and had to be pulled out. On road noise isn't that bad to me. But then again i have an exhaust and a system.

https://www.treadwright.com/c-22-285-70r17.aspx

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run the Cooper ST Maxx's and they are a good tire. They are between an A/T and M/T. Good for my snowy habitat, but not for everyone.

OP
OP
sk8ordie

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just read 01exp4x4's thread and thought about stressing the suspension. if i were to do the 2/1 spacers or 2.5/1 spacers could i fit 285's? or would 275's look ok? anyone run the Bridgstone Dueler Revo 2?

im not gonna do any rock crawling just camping and light/ medium trails. since it is a daily driver.

i just want to get the X to where if my 4yr old daughter says "i want to go there daddy" and points to the middle of the forest. i want to be able to take her there.lol

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, you shold always go with the largest tire you can. Empty wheel wells don't look good

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk