Nav map update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hrbeta

Reaction score
my 2018 Expedition nav map needs updating. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish that? Thanks

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
my 2018 Expedition nav map needs updating. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish that? Thanks
This is by far the best way. It will update your Sync Version and the Maps. It takes a while.

You will need at least a 32GB good flash drive. A quality one from a good brand, like Sandisk or PNY.

OP
OP
H

hrbeta

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your input, being a Mac user myself I think I’ll need to ask one my Windows friends to lend me hand. Thanks again.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your input, being a Mac user myself I think I’ll need to ask one my Windows friends to lend me hand. Thanks again.
Yeah, only downside to the software.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can update the maps without updating Sync. You can either buy a preloaded flash drive from Ford or download it on to your own drive. It's picky about which drive you use and takes a long time. I've gotten two free updates. syncmyride.com

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can update the maps without updating Sync. You can either buy a preloaded flash drive from Ford or download it on to your own drive. It's picky about which drive you use and takes a long time. I've gotten two free updates. syncmyride.com
Doing one without the other is a real waste. There has only been one recent Map update, and that was the 2020 Map Data that was released in late 2020.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Out of curioisty, did they stop updating Sync for pre-2022 Expeditions?
It has nothing to do with the 2022 Expeditions, and more to do with APIM Firmware revisions and the release of Sync 4. There has been a significant slow down in Sync 3 updates, because of 4, and the fact they are working on the Android based system coming in what is expected to be 2023 to some ford models.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the 2022 Expeditions, and more to do with APIM Firmware revisions and the release of Sync 4. There has been a significant slow down in Sync 3 updates, because of 4, and the fact they are working on the Android based system coming in what is expected to be 2023 to some ford models.
That was my point. We all know that Sync 4 is in the 22's, so I was curious if the updates to Sync 3 would grind to a halt (2018-2021) while the focus will be on the new version. I was hoping with the number of Expy's that were out there with Sync 3 that it could continue, but that is not realistic.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That was my point. We all know that Sync 4 is in the 22's, so I was curious if the updates to Sync 3 would grind to a halt (2018-2021) while the focus will be on the new version. I was hoping with the number of Expy's that were out there with Sync 3 that it could continue, but that is not realistic.
Still supporting it for security and issues, but no feature adds. Last year saw a few small fixes.