Nav map update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I've updated my Gen-3 2017 Sync 3 several times using the CyanLabs free updates vs buying a chip from Ford. Lack of current maps or very expensive upgrades is an annoyance and the reason a Garmin GPS has sat on my dashboard the past 20 years in addition to the in-dash system. Not the same physical unit but a new one every few years is less expensive than a factory update for the in-dash system. And less expensive than renting a GPS for two weeks with a rental car in various countries. Looks klunky but the maps are updated several times a year.

Map updates are not much of a problem if you're replacing the vehicle every 3 years but ...

-- Chuck

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
any chance of a map update coming out soon? Got an email this AM from Ford, but it didn't say what version of Maps it was.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Do you know the map version you have? Latest Cyan Labs map of US/CDA is 2 20 (2020) - NA -- a mere three (3) years old. But the Cyan update is free. :)

Maps in my Garmins (I have two) are version North America 2024.10 -- apparently Garmin can predict the future. Maps were updated within the last couple of weeks.

-- Chuck

Dahammer

Reaction score
Here in NY, Ford maps post the wrong speed limits. So does Apple Maps. I understand Apple uses Tom Tom Maps, and Ford might use Tom Tom too. As an example, most highway speed limits in NYC and suburban areas are 55MPH however in some spots maps show 70MPH in 55 MPH zone.